Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Were to put temp sending unit on 700R4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve F., Oct 28, 2004.

1. Steve F.

Steve F. Registered Member

I just bought a used supost to be built for towing 700R4 for my 90 K5 & it will be used for towing & snowplowing.I do have a 6 pass tranny cooler w/the line going straight to it & by-passing the radiator.
    I want to make sure I do not run this tranny HOT so Im putting a electrical temp gage on it.Do I have to put the sending unit in the pan, & if so were at ,or is there some were to screw it into, on the tranny.

Is it even built to tow.Here is what the reciept says:
    Master overhaul kit Includes:
    Gasket & seal Kit,seal ring kit,filter forward frictions,reverse frictions,low/reverse frictions, 3/4 frictions,2-4 band,shift kit,reprograming kit

Bushing kit,front planet,ring gears,Hub,Sun shell,rear planet,sun gear.B29 converter $725
    Let me know what you think. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    I am going to flush my cooler & lines,witch line is the return line,top or bottom /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

The trans temp gauge that i got says to put the sensor in the trans pan.

trans line:

Upper - Return/in

Lower - Cooler feed/out

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Search for this topic - it comes up every few months and there are a few different opinions on where the sender can and should go.

FWIW mine is in the pan which is my preference since it tells you the temp of the fluid before it is picked up.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

the pan is the best place, but kind of a pain to install. for a quick and easy place, use the pressure port. its an 1/8" NPT plug above the shift linkage. sensor will screw right in. it will read a little hotter than a pan sensor, but you will still be able to keep track of whats going on.