Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Were vortec heads ever stock on a 350?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Jul 24, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hmmm. Not sure how to properly phrase what I'm wondering.

When did Vortecs come out and what was their injection setup? Were they concieved and stocker'd by GM?

The reason I'm wondering is junkyarding. I want to scrounge up some Vortec heads and intake from a junkyard (I'd clean 'em up real good and machine them as needed before dropping them in, of course). I can get a lot of parts really cheap at my favorite junkyard, but they're almost always only stock parts, aftermarket/perf stuff during blue moons.

So pretty much, do stock Vortec heads/intake exist that would fit my '88 350 TBI, or am I looking at aftermarket only fitting? Or would I have to convert over to the donor's stock TPI setup (or whatever injection was offered on a compatible donor)?

I can't afford the $1000+ of heads & intake, but I'm hungry for more power...

Anybody ever have any real luck finding these parts in a junkyard?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Started putting them on 1996 pickups with 350's.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What was the EFI? Will a '96 top end fit my '88 without massive changes? I'd love to convert to TPI, but then that's a whole 'nother can of worms (and someone else's ank account, cause mine'd be about empty...).

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The '96 and up vortecs are CPI (central port injected) and they are also OBDII, so it would be a hand full to swap it over to an exsisting engine.

But on the up-side. The cyl heads will bolt up to any 1955 and up engine block (except reverse coolent flow engines). They just need the rockers and intakes.

Twiztid

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup GM perf parts makes an intake that will let you bolt your TBI right on it or Edelbrock and some others make an intake that will let you bolt on a carb. Another thing is you ccan get a set from the dealer for about $425 bucks new in the box, which is really cheap for the performance gain.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

6. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

one thing to remeber about the vortec heads is that they have a different bolt pattern for the intake so you'll either have to but one of the special intake that they are finnally starting to make of use the stock intake of rethread the heads to the old style which jim pace does. but i've heard that they can have sealing problems when rethreaded. and i know i saw a vortech wiring harness that some one just came out with in the past month, that will allow you to put a vortech in any other vehical. i think it was howell but i am not for sure...