Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Western Digital notebook HDD's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Sep 20, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone using them? I'm looking at the Scorpio series 5200rpm, with 8MB cache. I wanted the 80GB, but Newegg keeps bumping the return-to-stock date back further. The 60GB is in stock, so now I'm thinking about that one instead...
    My big concern is after reading the customer reviews about the W-D drives, about half the reviewers complain about a "clicking" noise when the drive is accessing data. Is this a longevity concern?

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 180 gig external for back-up (no. no don't back up) and it's super!!!

One of the best brands I read and IMO.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

WD's have a good reputation. I don't know that I'd worry about a clicking noise, though. My current laptop HD makes a clicking noise on occasion, almost like the heads are slamming into the case, and while I watched it like a hawk the first few weeks I had it, I'm on almost two years now without it being a problem.
    I'd probably go for it.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well I've worked for most of the major disk drive manufacturers.... and I can tell you that it's definitely become a "commodity" type product.

They all have the same technologies (not surprising since most HDD employees jump from employer to employer!....I know I did! :D ) so it really comes down to who is building a decent quality product at the time you are in the market for something new.

Every disk drive vendor has faced quality issues at one time or another...the main thing I would do is find out who IBM and DELL are using in the laptops they are selling these days.

They are two of the toughest OEMs to qualify drives for....so if they are buying the drive you are considering, odds are that you are going to get a well-tested, and stable drive. Buying through the Distribution channel is more risky because they tend to be the dumping ground for lower quality or down-rev drives....but generally speaking, if IBM or DELL has already qualified the drive, the vendor has probably already "upped their game" in the QA and manufacturing areas.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Chuckle. You didn't hear about Lenovo, Greg? :)

IBM officially makes no PC's of any variety any more (they got out of the desktop game coupla years back, right?)

'Sfunny, actually, as I didn't know WD made 2.5"s. We buy lots of laptops for work (several thousand a year typically) and see loads of the IBM/Hitachi's, and Toshiba drives. Haven't seen any WD's, huh.

-- A

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, so... Where do I find out what drives Dell is using these days? My System Information printout from Dell doesn't say what brand of drive I got in mine, and that's after I paid for the computer. Of course, I can't remember what the tag on the drive said when I removed it... but then again, it's now a 3-year-old laptop, so who they used then may not be who they use now.

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

According to Belarc Advisor.............mine is: FUJITSU MHV2040AH [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n NT26T562DJ2H, rev 00000096, SMART Status: Healthy
    Look up Belarc Advisor and download it (no spyware)

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

8. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Dell was 2 years ago using maxtors atleast in there low end line, probably still are with contracts and such. WD is a great manufacture as is maxtor. But Toshiba has put up a great fight and has released wonderful hard drives, most of all for the notebook. Toshiba has released 7200 rpm drives for the notebook that use no more power then western digital's. So faster and same power consumption. But there not on newegg for some reason. Here's what I recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822149020

Get latency, seek time, cache, and price ain't bad in my book.