Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Western Plow wiring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Oct 30, 2005.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my K20 has dual batteries in it, last summer, i was in need of a battery, and had no time to go get one. so i scabbed the second battery out from under the hood. now, i cant for the life of me figure out how i took it out. here's what i've got.
    [​IMG]

starting with the red cable that runs over the fender, to the junction block on the inner fender... it runs to the pump, so that has to be hot. however the end of it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    and i have another cable that will attach to that end, its about a foot long. do i tie the positive terminals on both batteries together?

the second cable runs up to the alternator bracket, and since the truck runs now, i can only assume that that goes to the ground terminal of the second battery.

the bottom cable goes to the body of the plow pump, so i think i can safely assume that this is ground.

does this all sound correct? i know it was in there before, and im not missing any of the cables. i just want to make sure im putting it back together correctly so that i dont burn the truck to the ground.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the positives will tire togeather, other wize it would be 24 volts it you tied one pos to the others neg.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

red to red and black to black = 12 volt x2 cca

red to black in middle with red to wehicle and other black to ground = 24 volt

also make sure the duel batterys are the same size and brand if at all possible. or posible charging problems.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the primary battery is a group 78, the secondary is a 75. that's what was in the truck before, so that's what we replaced them with. both are AC Delcos, only about a year old. didnt have any problems with a 78 and a 75 before, so i dont forsee any with these batteries. if i do, i'll get another 78, and turn the 75 in for warranty. it worked good in my derby truck, and i wouldnt mind having another good battery sittin around the garage in case i ever need it (which happens often around here :rolleyes: )

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you don't need dual batteries, but i guess it doesn't hurt. i have a top and side post battery, side to the truck, top to the plow.

the red goes to the soleniod on the fenderwall, then to the hot on the plow. the black should ground on the pump instead of on the block, mine was originally that way and had problems with it not working part of the time. once i put it on the pump, i had no problem after that.