Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wet carpet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Nov 14, 2001.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 GMC Jimmy and recently i have noticed that the carpet and the padding underneath have been getting wet. I pulled them up to dry them off today. The car sits outside at night and the rainy season just started here in california, so maybe that has something to do with it. Any ideas?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Check two things-

1. See is there is any trace of water seeping down the inside of the firewall. This points to either a bad seal on your windshield or corrosion holes in the base of the windshield frame.

2. Check if the seal on the transfer case doghouse panel is intact. Water could be coming in from there if the seal is cracked or dried out.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Can't remember if it's under the dash on a '79, and I'm sure I'll be politely corrected if I'm wrong...

What about your heater core condition? At least you could rule it out if it checks out.

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry perhaps I wasnt quiet clear enough in my explination. The water is coming in in the bed not near the driver seats Thanks alot guys.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Oh...well...in that case...LOL

Rear window, tailgate or top seal rubber would be my suggestions.

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It seems signifigantly damp, even though it seems like alot of water is coming up would it be possible that it could be coming up from the drainage holes in the back? What do you think about takeing out all the padding underneath the carpet?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What kind of shape is the body in? Is there a chance there's any rust-through in the bed area? What about around the bolt holes?

Another thing to maybe consider is condensation from the fibreglass top dripping down onto the carpets......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

8. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

condensation from the top? yeah its in pretty good shpae no rust under the carpet you can see a pic of my truck in my profile its small but is something.