Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wet floorboards

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chevit, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how to fix this? It seems to leak between the firewall and the fenders. It has leaked since I have had it since Feb. 1990. Luckely no rust. "84K5"

84 K5, Crate 350, 700r tranny, 3.73 rear, 32 11.50 15, Q-jet

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Most likely the windsield or the heater core which side is it on

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I have a small amount of leakage there as well...I am 99% sure its a wind shield seal leak...

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

4. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

The leak or leaks are on both sides. If I squirt water near the hinges of the hood I can see water runningon the inside of the cab down the sides on the slanted part of the floor boards. I took the grill trim that the windshield wipers go through off and It looked to me it was running down the inside of the wheel well and coming inside some how.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

This might help or not but in the lmc catolog there ore some fender seals Item #38-7454 for the 81-91 they look to go down the fender and the firewall behind the hinge maybe the ones or lack there of could be the leak. Also is the steering rod area fully sealed along with the wires that come from the back of the fuse block.. hope this helps

6. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Thanks NoSmog72 I will check it out

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Might be a leak where the cowel box meets the fire wall. If you look at the fire wall you will see a seam that runs the width of the fire wall. If you remove the cowel peice at the base of the windsheild you can get into that box. Sometimes the seam will leak instead of sending the water out the fender. If it leaks behind the Heat and AC boxes then it can get in the truck and look like a heater core leak. Skigirl had that exact problem.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Nah, those just give the fenders and cowel panel something to rest on. Good thought though, but a lot work of to be changing. More than likely a windshield leak. Get scientific with it, go after the windshield with the hose and see what happens. It would also be an excellent idea to pull up your carpeting and have a peek. What you're going to get under that carpet is a warm, moist, moldy smell that will turn your stomach. You'll probably also have a few unpleasent rust surprises. A little cutting, welding, and bedlining and you'll never have that problem. I'm using carpet and insulation again, but its nice to know that it can't rot out and it'll be a pinch quieter in there.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

9. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I have checked the windshield I am leaning toward the fenders. I pulled the carpet a long time ago and put down conveyor belting. No rust or smell just wet.

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

It can't be the fenders. Those rubbers are just give them something to rest along instead of rubbing on metal. You'd be surprised about the windshield. You can see what I did to my Blazer on my page. I took mine out and found that I had holes that were 1" long on the bottom of my windshield frame. There are only so many places water can enter. The heater core area is a common one. I'm not sure how it would get into your cab but where your fan is can also get leaked into. Does your '84 have that rubber mat up front? I think they did away with those but I know for sure that '81/'82 had them. Basically its a rubber plasticy thing that the factory glued to the floor to keep water out. They were dead wrong. The goofs only glued it in places and water got under it and stayed, creating rust. I had a hell of a time getting mine off before I bedlined.

Anyways, those fender rubbers are not it. Believe me, I swapped many a front clip. I would be inclined to check what Grim said or take a serious look at that windshield. It takes a while for water to seep in if its a windshield leak. That cowel area is easy to fix, just clean and hit with the seam sealer in a caulk gun.

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got those rubber floor liners in my 91 body, what a PITA those things are!!! I was doing my rocksliders this weekend and found a LOT more rust than I wanted to under there. [​IMG] So much for my rust free body that was swapped on 2 years ago. Gotta love NY winters! [​IMG]

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org