Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wet spot underneath fromt floor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wraenking, May 7, 2003.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i just picked up an 86 k5 blazer in mint condition on saturday for 2500.00 from an old man at a retirement village. i pulled back the rug on the passenger side floor just to see what was up, and the foam for the carpet was wet. any ideas where it is coming from, and maybe some tips of what i can do to stop it. the blazer has hardly any rust. tiny bit at drivers side tailgate area, and a tiny bit on drivers side where seatbelt fastens. thanks guys.

and, great site!!!!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure the heater core is leaking. A new one at the parts store is cheap. You have to remove the glove box assembly to replace it.
    Good luck!
    -- Mike

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's a bad heater core most likely. Check again I bet it's anifreeze. You should be able to smell it. ( /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I still can't get that smell to go away). If you have never done this there is a good write up in the tech archives. It's not that fun to do so ask any questions if ya need to.

-Brian

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys. ill check it out to see of it smelles like anti freeze. if it doesnt, my buddy says we will spray her down with water this weekend and see if d=she has a leak.

5. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I had this happen on my 88 K5 and it sucked. I jacked up the defroster somehow in the reinstallation, so be careful around the vacuum connections

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

actually, the rug is completeky dry. does that help in finding out what it may be. i dont recall smelling anitfreeze, and i know the rug is bone dry. just the foam underneath is wet.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the carpet is dry but just the foam is wet it's not leaking that bad YET. The coolant runs down the inside of the firewall and under the carpet. Unless something was spilled under the carpet it's the heater core.

-Brian

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your sure it isn't coolant then it may be a bad cowel box seal.
    Open the hood and look at the firewall. you will notice a seam that runs the width of the truck. That seam forms the cowel box where the windshield wiper linkages are and where the freash airintake is for the HVAC. You will notice that seam runs under the AC box under the hood. from time to time some people will have that seam leak under the AC box and it will get inside.
    I used Duplicolor bed liner junk and sprayed it in with the grills out of the top of the cowle box at the base of the windshiled. It's somewhat thin and will get down in that seam and fill it. Remove any rust and crud and make sure it's dry before you seal and seal the whole width.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    from time to time some people will have that seam leak under the AC box and it will get inside.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Grimmy's write-up was great - and while I was looking for the source of the leak I changed the heater core. Wasn't bad with Grim's help. Once you do it once, I think it's pretty easy.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another place to check would be the seal around the transfer case doghouse. I believe the factory uses silicone to seal that sucker up, and maybe there's a void that's allowing water in from underneath......I've only seen this once before, though.

Hey brother, do us a favor and fill in your profile, please. Name and location are a must- for all you know one of us lives a couple of blocks away!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

That sure sounds like a heater core to me. I just replaced one on my 78. I had the exact symptoms: water/antifreeze under the passenger carpet. It would also fog the windshield in the mornings when I warmed up the truck.

Replacing it isn't too tough. The hardest part is getting the bolts off on the engine side of the firewall so you can drop the housing that contains the core. Be sure to hand soak up the stuff under the carpet so it doesn't rust the floorpan. It'll take forever to dry out on its own.

12. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i went to the parts store today and bought everything for a tune up. i picked up a heater cor just in case. i dont smell any anti freeze, and neither did the guy at the parts store. ill figure it out this weekend when my bud helps me with the tune up and valve cover replacement.

13. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Try looking at the top of your windsheild gasket. My floor kept getting wet too. I finally tracked it down to the windsheild gasket. There was a tiny gap between the back of the gasket and the roof line right above the b piller. It was letting the water run down behind the gasket ,and drip down inside right by the kick panel. I just pulled back the gasket and squeezed in a little black RTV. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Once you get the leak fixed, do not put that padding back wet. That stuff will hold moisture for months. Trust me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Mine was actually my doorseal. It leaked in about 2/3s of the way up the pillar and followed down all the way to the floor.

Also, I developed a leak whereas if I squirt water from under the hood into the fender it leaks into the cab. The only time I have this happen is when I'm submersed in water or hosing out the cab. I don't know where it leaks in at, I've tried tracing it.

16. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

If it's not the heater core then just water test it. run water over in varios locations till you see where the water is coming in. i work at a car dealer and we have to so this all the time you be amazed at all the little places water can get into.

17. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok. tonight i noticed that there was fog at the right side of the windshield? could that be the problem? maybe there is a sealer to fix it, or should i replace the whole seal.

18. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ok. tonight i noticed that there was fog at the right side of the windshield? could that be the problem? maybe there is a sealer to fix it, or should i replace the whole seal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I have seen fog on the right side it was the heater core. Water is spilling out of the core and getting into the vents. You see it on the right/passenger side because the right defroster vent is right above the heater core box. I bet it is a somewhat greasy kind of moisture too, not just water. That's because it's actually drying antifreeze. That is if you have antifreeze in the radiator and not mostly water. Your windshield will be hazy/dirty where that fog dries.

You can replace all the seals you want but I'd bet money that you'll be replacing that core if you want to fix that problem.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

19. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i still have a new heater core in the garage, but i drove her through the car wash just too see if there was a leak somewhere. passanger side window at top might has well been open. it poured in, and dripped right down to the floor. this solved the mystery of no wet spot on the upper floor area under the rug, just down where your feet are. i will keep the heater core just in case, but right now, i have a new 700r4 going in. all the heavy work is done, so i should have it finished tonight.

20. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

The rust in the tailgate area needs to be taken care of. Trust me, been there. I lived in colts neck until about 9 years ago, bought my 89 Blazer on Rt88 in Lakewood in 93. I now live in AZ. once the rust starts it will not stop until you replace the metal. As far as the rust arount the seat belt bolts, I had my replaced. Finda a good place the restores old cars. They will be the only ones who will take on a job like that. A regular body shop will not even want to look at it.
    Being you live in belmar, you will have lots and lots of rust problems. Don't cruise Ocean ave unitl you get the rust fixed. (LOL)