Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whaddya think is wrong?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HarryL, Jun 19, 2002.

1. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

OK. The more I use my brakes, the more the front brake drag. As soon as I use the brakes, the front brakes begin to drag until I can feel them dragging and the hubs get hot. Then I pop the hood, press in the little button on the front of the porportioning valve, and that releases the brakes. The truck will actually roll forward a bit as soon as I push in the little button.

Additionally, I can sit in the driveway with the engine running, and pump the brakes and that will lock up the front end also.

What is going on here? (I think I know, but I'd really like to get your opinion).

Just got her out of storage, where it has been since last Oct, waiting for summer. She has been sitting fo 8 months. All was well with the brakes when I put it up last winter.

Thanks,

HarryL in Utah

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It sounds like there must be some nasty "stuff" in your prop. valve. It might be so bad you have to replace it but most likely you could just take it appart and clean it out (with brake cleaner). That sounds scarry!

3. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

i had the same problem with mine when i bought it. After i changed everything and still had the same problem i finally figured out it was the nut between the booster and master cylinder <font color="blue"> </font color>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I had a similar issue and turned out to be the pass side caliper was sticking/holding pressure. swaped in a new one(actually put both in to keep it even) and now all is good.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if there was some water in there before you let it sit, it could of built up some rust in there. sometimes you just have to bleed it and move things back and forth to brake the rust free. then again, give it a good check out. start with the calipers to make sure they are not sticking, then work yourself up. it could the prop valve by what u said about it.

ARQ.

6. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, for your input. I was really hoping the fix would be something like "drink 2 beers, clean out your glove box, drink 2 more, clean the windshield, drink 2 more, check the stereo speakers, drink 2 more (get the idea?)

Now I'll have to wait for the beer until I let her down off the lift.

thanks again

Harry in Utah

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahah LOL!
    Good Luck Harry!