Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whad'ya think about the 700r4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Oct 27, 2000.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Whad\'ya think about the 700r4?

Being new to the K5 world, I'm already putting together a wish list. I bought an '86 from a dealer (I had a dodge that NO ONE wanted to buy, so had to trade it in), and for the most part, the Blazer runs/drives great. But I'm sure in due time, the 305 will have to be swapped and the tranny rebuilt/replaced.

I've heard a lot of people talk about the 700r4's and am wondering what the general consensus is. Some people seem to love them, some people seem to hate them, but then are also unhappy if they've swapped in a th350 in the 700's place.

All feedback welcomed.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Whad\'ya think about the 700r4?

Well i like them... They have OD and a 3.0x:1 first which make for nice crawl ratios.

As long as you have them built right and keep them cool(run a big cooler) you will be fine!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Do a search on past topics as this has been covered many times as there is alot of opinions on this subject.

In general I like the 700r4's for there low first gear and overdrive, and I have also had very good luck with the durability of this transmission in numerous different vehicles.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Both my trucks have 700r4s. They've stood up well considering that every summer I tow my trailer several thousand miles through the mountains. I also enjoy the fuel economy they provide. As long as you maintain a 700r4 regularly, and keep it cool with the aid of a good tranny cooler(like mentioned above), you shouldn't have a problem.

5. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

The earlier 700's (82 to 86 maybe?) had numerous flaws, but can be fixed. Mine, a 1985, runs like a top. When it bites the dust I will likeley replace it with a jet T-700. Same basic tranny, but completely beefed up. They aren't cheap, $1400.00 but a rebuilt 700R4 ain't exactly a bargain.

"who dares wins"

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Answered your other post about this same subject! [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Archer, where can you get the jet t700 for $1400? I'm gonna need one in the near future. The GM replacement is $1200 from the dealer, the jet seems very much worth it. Is it required to buy a new torque converter?

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Lost my 700r4 monday nite and I will rebuild it, for the simply reason it never let me down. It lasted longer then it probably should have. 16yrs without a rebuild. OD and 3.00:1 1st gear is great for highway and crawl'n. Love my 700r4 even though it needs a rebuild.
    Whats this jet700 I'm hearing about? Is there any articals on it anywhere on the net? Kinda interested in it.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>