Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whad'ya think about the 700r4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Oct 27, 2000.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Whad\'ya think about the 700r4?

Being new to the K5 world, I'm already putting together a wish list. I bought an '86 from a dealer (I had a dodge that NO ONE wanted to buy, so had to trade it in), and for the most part, the Blazer runs/drives great. But I'm sure in due time, the 305 will have to be swapped and the tranny rebuilt/replaced.

I've heard a lot of people talk about the 700r4's and am wondering what the general consensus is. Some people seem to love them, some people seem to hate them, but then are also unhappy if they've swapped in a th350 in the 700's place. Also, for those who've put in new/rebuilt trannys, can anyone recomend any good sites/stores with quality units and decent prices?

All feedback welcomed.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: Whad\'ya think about the 700r4?

Well, Troy you will get both sides of the coin on this board. Guys that have run them for 200,000 miles with only fluid change and NO problems, others that say they have gone through 3 trannys in 100K miles. Seems the consensus is you have to keep them cool - must have a good oil cooler, keep them serviced and don't tow with them in overdrive. I myself have a T-350 in my 79 which I would swap out for a 700R4 tomorrow if I had the money. Want the lower first gear and the overdrive capability so I can put my 4.56 or 4.88 gears in the rear end, add my 35" tires and be set!
    By the way, I am in Gresham, Oregon (just outside Portland), where is Mt. Vernon?

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at--->http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Love my 700 r. the OD is great and that low 1st is greater!!!Like Blazin Or said clean fluid and cool are the keys to longevity (sp)

White Knight

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I have a TH350 now running 3.08 gears. I found a 700R4 out of an 84 for $150. Looking to rebuild it and run either 3.73 or 4.1 gears and have the OD to compensate on the highway. Had an 86 IROC with a 700R4 behind a 350 TPI engine. Ran great and had no problems with it. Did change fluid on a regular basis and ran an extra cooler (they knew about the problems with them then). At 132,000 miles, I traded it in with no problems. I'm going to talk to a local tranny shop today about the upgrades for the 700R4 and see how much it will cost to rebuild it.

5. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Hey BlazinOR,

Mount Vernon is in north-western WA, just about one hour north of Seattle on the I-5 corridor. Beautiful country, but so is OR.

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have to say I like my 700R4. I have a stock Jimmy with no lift. 31" BFG AT KOs. She does fine but you will need to keep'er real cool. I have a BDS lift I am putting on with 35" tires in the future, need the beefier axles first. I am pretty happy with the abiltiy to tow a 18' bass boat or the jet skis. And OD is great on your wallet. It really depends on how much foresight you put into your driving and how your driveline equipment is set up.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey woodpecker, you're only an hour south of me [​IMG]
    Are there any decent trails where you are? I've heard a lot about Walker Valley ORV, but most guys say the full size trucks are too big. Of course these guys are "Jeepers" and maybe don't want to get shown up by a big Chevy [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]