Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what 4speed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atomicdog, Nov 29, 2006.

1. atomicdog

atomicdog Registered Member

Hey guys, Im thinking about goin with a 4speed. My buddy has a 80 crewcab one ton with a 4speed any ideas as to what it may be? He said i could have it if i take it out along with all the pedals and such. Will the VIN number tell me what the trans is? the truck is somewhat inexessible for just looking to see.He tells me it came in the truck though. My blazer has a 383,203and 456 gears.would a 4speed make the final drive too low for 36 tires? Any help or opinions are appreciated, Atomic dog

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

SM465. I don't know what transmission you have now, but if you have a TH350 you will actually be revving a little lower on the highway than you do now. If he is willing to part with the t-case and adapter that would probably be the best for you. The 205 is a better case and was commonly found behind SM465's. Getting the whole setup from the other truck would make everything a lot simpler for you.

This has been covered lots of times, try the search feature :D

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Yep, 465/205 combo. All 80 trucks had a slip yoke 205 in them.

4. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Both the TH350 and 465 have a 1:1 ratio on top gear so your RPM's wont be any different.

5. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but the 350 has a nonlockup torque converter, so the engine RPM will always be higher than the input shaft RPM due to slippage. Thus, the 465 will turn fewer RPMs in top gear for a given speed.

6. atomicdog

Thanks for the info, I will try the search thing next time also. The trans is in a two wheel drive truck.That wont matter will it? And my trans-case is a 208 stock 79 blazer i think. Im a bodyman so all this parts mix and match is something new. But hey thats why im here, this site rocks.

7. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

uhh yea that matters 2wd

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

If it is going to be free then take it all so you would have all the parts needed for the swap then just look for a 4WD 465 and sell the 2WD one.

9. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I would say take it.
    However, the 2wd tranny won't bolt to your current transfer case.
    You will still need a 4wd tranny and the proper adapter to make your transfer case work.
    It would take some parts hunting to get it done.
    The easiest for you would be to take everything from the '80 truck from the bracket that the clutch and brake pedal hand off of to the end of the transmission. I would also take the drive shaft.
    Next, find a 4wd SM465 with a transfer case already attached.
    Use all the clutch/bellhousing parts from the 2wd on the 4wd tranny. Use your driveshafts and have them lengthened/shorted to make it all work.
    Sell the 2wd SM465 after the swap in case you need some parts off of it.

10. atomicdog

Well that bites, I thought maybe it would just be a matter of swapping some output shaft or rear housing stuff to get it done. Oh well, and to top it all off i had another 465 given to me today and yea its a *$#@# two wheel drive one too! Back to the salvage yard. Thanks again for the info... ATOMICDOG