Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a crappy way to end it...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Aug 10, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What a crappy day.... my dog, the one I have had since I was 10 (I'm almost 25) has had cancer for a long time. It's started to get really bad and other health problems have been coming up along the way as well. Anyhow I knew I had to take her to the vet and knew if I did I wouldn't be bringing her home. I dragged it out for as long as I could and broke down and took her today. He told me exactly what I knew she had cancer that was advanced and other stuff going on. He said I can give her pills (which I had tried 3 months ago to get to this point) and send her home to see if they help. Basically though she'd end up back there again with me back at this same point.... so I said I think I guess put her to sleep because she's not going to get better. The guy was nice and said it's only going to get worse and if it does she'll suffer then. I couldn't do that to her.... so anyhow they did it. Man it sucks... I think everyone there must have thought I was on crack. I was crying so bad and couldn't even hardly pay for it. Talk about a crap thing to have to do. Own a dog it's whole life, love it, take care of it then you have to basically kill it because it gets so old and sick... I don't think I'll be getting another dog for awhile if ever again.... I sure can't do this again that's for sure.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Sorry to hear errr...read it Steph. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry to hear it Steph, losing a pet is tough./forums/images/icons/frown.gif/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

We had to have my mom's cat put down while she was on holidays. My mom had both her cats put up at a kitty kennel and we got a call one night that something was wrong with the cat. We got there and were told the cat 'fell' and got hurt. (whatever...still never found out what really happened) Anyways her back was broken so the humane thing to do was to put her down. I couldn't stand to watch...

Rene

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It bites so much... I had to put my Grandma's dog down too in June because it went into heart failure. I'm thinking pets are great when they are young and healthy. But then they get old and this crap is what comes. I am not sure I want to deal with that anymore... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

im very sorry you had to do that but you know it was the right thing to do but i know it still hurts /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry to hear about you losing a great friend. I've only had to have that done once and it was because I ran over my own dog with my Suburban that I had at the time. I thought she had moved. She just moved into my blind spot and I ran her head over. Talk about feeling awful. She was only 1 1/2 year old and we'd been through obedience school, I took her everywhere, etc. She was still breathing so I sped all the way to town and they couldn't do anything for her. She was brain dead. Maybe look at it this way; you got a lot of wonderful years with her and I'm sure you gave her a lot of love. I'm sure she appreciated it. Like Garth says "Our lives are better left to chance. I might have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance".

I own a Golden Retreiver that we "rescued" 2 years ago from her previous owners. The man was going to shoot her. Turns out with a little training she is the best dog I could have. Oh I suppose she could shed a little less but besides that...

Now I'm a foster mom for Ratbone Rescues which is quite interesting. I didn't want to commit to owning a 2nd dog but thought I might want one... so this is my way of having a 2nd dog for awhile. If you think you could love another dog again, look into rescues. So many dogs out there would love to have a person like you (with a really cool truck to ride in!!) and they desperately need a home. Personally I wouldn't want to deal with a puppy ever again. Oh and if you know of anyone looking for a sweet little Rat Terrier boy I sure have one here!

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate this topic of putting pets to sleep. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Steph you did a wonderful thing for your doggy. Instead of letting her suffer you gave her a wonderful gift by putting her to sleep. It may not seem like it and im sure its so hard to not have her around but it will get easier as time goes by. Im sure she is up there thanking you for doing that for her. *BIg hugs*.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That sucks. My dog is so much a part of our family it would be a dark day if he were to not be around. Sorry............ /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

That sucks, it's always a difficult decision /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry to hear that Steph. I had to put my last dog down a couple years ago, Because she had Liver Cancer/forums/images/icons/frown.gif. It was like you said very painfull to see her suffer like that. But I did finally realize after a while that it was the right thing to do, So she whould not suffer anymore. I whouldn't say you won't ever get a new dog jsut yet. I thought the same thing at the time with my dog, But I have felt like getting a new one sometime soon for a while. Hope you feel better soon, The hurt will pass soon enough. Keep your head up/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I'm very sorry for your loss /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .... The pain will diminish over time, but the memories will last forever. Cherish them.

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It’s called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.

Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills, and valleys with lush green grass. When beloved dogs die, they go to this place to wait.

There is always food, fresh water and warm spring weather. The old and frail are young again, those who are maimed are made whole.
    They play together all day long, with only one thing missing ... they are not with the special person ... the one who loved them so much here on Earth.

So each day they run and play until the day comes, when one suddenly stops playing and looks up ... it's nose twitches, the ears are up, the eyes are staring, and this one excitedly runs from the group. You have been seen!

When you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting and beloved friend. Then together you cross the Rainbow Bridge, never again to be separated.

13. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I once asked my cousin (she's a vet assistant) how she could put these animals down, knowing how much she always loved animals. I watched them put a dog down, they gave this dog every comfort possible. Even a big fluffy towel to cuddle, and pretty much held his paw. You did the right thing...thats why it hurts so much..the right thing is always toughest.

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My deepest simpathy. I had to have a dog put to sleep last year. It's very hard to do when you've had it for years. They become more then a mear pet, they're part of the family.

16. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I know that you do not want another doggy right now. But when the time comes that you will get another doggy maybe you would like to get one from the pound? There are so many unwanted puppys and doggies out there, you could be saving one of them. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Not much I can add - most of it has been said. I too have been there. It's not easy.
    Remember the good times you had! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Awwww....sorry to hear that! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I think it makes you feel worse to 'pull the plug'. But just think, your dog doesn't have any pain anymore and is in the happiest place there is. I'm sure she thanks you for loving her unselfishly.

Email me if you wanna talk /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I've had to put a couple of my dogs to sleep. It's hard to do, but you know it's best for them.

19. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

With being gone for the UCP run, I am only now getting a chance to catch up on things. I am really sorry to hear about your dog. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I know this has been said before, but you did the right thing even if it doesn't feel like it. Your dog has moved on to a better place and will be waiting for you.