Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a Day! Maybe I'm just not meant to be a mud racer. *Pictures added*.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 28, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

What a Day! Maybe I\'m just not meant to be a mud racer. *Pictures added*.

One year ago to this weekend, I decided I'd enter the local mud race at a small town called Harrington, put on annually by the Lincoln 4-Wheelers club. I made it about 1/16 of the way there and my tranny went out.

This year. I'm prepared. I get the Big Crew Cab ready to go. My friend Nathan was going to drive it out, and we were both going to enter it with 39.5x18 Boggers on the back and Ground Hawg look-a-likes on the front. Hooked behind it on a trailer is my friend Steve's '75 Blazer.

I'm driving my '81 Suburban out towing a borrowed trailer and another friend Dave's Blue Suburban.

We leave at 7:00 a.m. from my house, Saturday, Sept. 28th, get to the same place my tranny started acting up one year ago, and the rear U-joint breaks on the Crew Cab. I go to Napa (who opened 4 min. after we got there), and get a U-joint, and somehow miraculously are able to squeeze the new U-joint into the damaged driveline. By now, we have about a 50 min. drive and the races start in 35 minutes.

Steve gets discouraged, unloads his Blazer and decides to head back home. I leave Nathan to fix the Big Crew cab as I continue to tow Dave's Suburban to the races.

About a 1/2 mile from Harrington, my water pump bearing goes out and sprays coolant everywhere. We remove the fan in fear of it flying into my radiator, add water, and limp it to the races. We arrive about 20 minutes after the first run.

We unload, swap two front tires on Dave's Blue Suburban and I park. Dave's son Matt was going to run in their Suburban first. He lined up, the flag dropped, and "POP!". The transfer case goes out. He gets pushed back from the starting line to where it sat the rest of the day.

My friend Nick couldnt make it out with his '92 Chevy Extended cab on 38's due to mechanical problems.

Meanwhile, I'm replacing my water pump (I had an extra with me), so we can get home. Nathan arrives in the Crew Cab, of course too late for us to enter. So we leave the 38's on the Crew cab, park it and watch everyone else after I finish the water pump.

Discouraged, we all still managed to have a fun day watching the races, especially with vehicles like Jake's "Crosley" (an alchohol injected Big Block powered rail type car with paddle tires and an old Crosley body)

After the races were over, Nathan and I took the crew cab through the pits a few times. It flew through pretty good for the heavy truck it is and for the low treaded 38" Gumbo Mudders we left on it. At least I had some fun getting to run through unofficially 5 times.

We all made it home safe just a bit ago. Anyway, thats my long, boring, pointless story. Just figured I'd share my tale of bad luck with everyone.

Maybe next year I'll try to enter again for real. 3rd time's the charm.

PICTURES ADDED: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/aalundberg

Shows the mud races and another album shows me and Nathan after the races goofing off in the Crew Cab going through the pits.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: What a Day! Maybe I\'m just not meant to be a mud racer.

damn that sucks /forums/images/icons/frown.gif did you get any pics of the races?

3. mountainexplorer

Yeah, I got quite a few pictures, I just have to get them all posted. Unfortunately, I didn't catch any extreme action shots, but at least they show the rigs there. I'll put a link up when I get them posted somewhere.

4. mudhog

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. mountainexplorer

Pictures at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/aalundberg
    One album of the mud races, and another album with my friend Nathan and myself taking turns with the crew cab.

6. mudhog

it says This folder is currently empty. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. mountainexplorer

Well, give it a try now. Should work.

8. mountainexplorer

9. mudhog

yes they are there now /forums/images/icons/smile.gif very cool pics /forums/images/icons/smile.gif how far is this from portland?

10. mountainexplorer

It's about 55 miles Southwest of Spokane. They have one every year in Harrington during the last weekend of September. They also have one in Odessa, Wa. one week before the one in Harrington.

Every July, right around the 4th, the same club has one in Sprague, Wa., just off of I-90.

11. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Re: What a Day! Maybe I\'m just not meant to be a mud racer. *Pictures added*.

wow! welcome neighbor /forums/images/icons/wink.gif