Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a day with a question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quackaddict, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Well today has been hectic but I got a lot done. I finished sanding down and painting my 3/4 ton 10 Bolt:D

Got my package from ORD (new rear spring perches and zero rate) Lift should be here tomorrow or next day.

I also went NAPA and finished ordering all my extended brake stuff and my new U-joint. They will be in tomorrow and I will have everything I need.

*** on a side note I was talking to the guy because a cop pulled someone over and blocked me in. I mentioned that I needed new hard line in the rear and he took me over and showed me what they had. It is a replacement hard brake line with the fittings already on it. Best part is it is designed so you can bend it by hand I bought two and re-did my rear brakes in 5 MINUTES!!! great stuff.***

**QUESTION*** please look at the last pics. I popped open my new 14BSF 3/4 ton axle to paint the diff cover and noticed this contraption in the spider gears. Is this the dreaded gov-bomb

Front axle done
    [​IMG]

What is this???????
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yup---KABOOM! you've got a gov lock

3. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

Kevin,
    Wow, that front axle looks much better painted!

As for that rear axle, I never would have thought it looked like that in there. I know this sounds stupid (remember how I drained the fluid from it, upside down upon removal from vehicle through the vent tube). I always thought it was open...as I never wheeled that axle, and jacking it up and spinning the tire did not seem to show a locker.

Are those gear 4.10's?

Joshua

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Told ya they got fittings already on the hardlines. Gonna get mine tomorrow.

5. Citizen Rider

Gov-bombs are open until 1 tire is 100rpm faster than the other. Then it locks up.

6. Quackaddict

yeah those brake lines were a blessing. I thought I was gonna have to get a tubing bender and screw them up a few times.......$4 a pop, bend them by hand awsome!!!!

Josh,
    Yup counted them yesterday the are 4:10's I miss counted the first time and got 3:73's so I counted them 5 more times and they are 4"10's.

If you look in the pic of the rear you can see a lot of RTV frags I must have picked out 15 of them. Also what gear fluid did you use in the rear? Thanks again for the wheeling I do gov-bomb may hold up I really like the axles.

Now if I can get all my parts which are kinda scattered together let the build-up begin.

7. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

Kevin,

I am glad that they are at least 4.10's! I am sorry that I did not know it was a gov-lock. For any minor off-road I would have done (hunting), it would have been fine anyways for my needs. I am glad you like them!

I remember checking the fluid level when I first got the K20 they are out of. I don't remember needing to add fluid though. Actaully, the only fluid I added was to the T-case, which made a ton of noise. So, I have no idea what kind of fluid was in them. From your pictures, I would guess it was good ol' 80-90 or something and not synthetic. Just a guess.

Since I never pulled the rear cover off (just the front to count the teeth), I did not reseal it with RTV. If you picked red RTV front he front axle, well, I did that. That is good old Chrysler axle RTV, about the best stuff I know of. The front axle would have had Valvoline gear oil put back in, probably 80-90W.

Oh, post a picture of the brake lines when you get a chance. I ended up making new ones for my 14BFF, but used a bender and re-flared one end so they fit just right. Yeah, more work (and cost, $130 flaring tool!) than it was worth probably...but I like stuff like that to look factory. Did you use 40" ones, or could you find 36's?
    Joshua

8. Quackaddict

RTV was in the rear no big deal just some chunks, the chunks were red RTV and it was sealed with clear RTV so someone else must have done it. Yeah I was checking to see if there was sythetic in the rear. I wanted to go with Royal purple but am going with Lucas' instead.

I will get some pics when I get the chance. These lines make perfect bends just really easy to use.

9. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

are gov-locks good?? and what type of axles are they in??

10. Quackaddict

They are supposed to be kind of weak especially under hard wheeling conditions. They are in the 3/4 and 1 ton 14bolt axles maybe some more but these are the only ones I have heard of.

11. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

That's funny that you mention clear RTV. Some people must just use house stuff I guess (do they make automotive grade clear?). When I pulled the hubs off my D60, they were clear RTV'd in as well. I guess the O-ring wasn't good enough for them!
    I am not sure how regular RTV and gearoil get along. I know that you aren't supposed to use RTV in areas where it is in contact with oil. The special Chrysler stuff is actually called Axle RTV, and is used for T-cases, trannies, axles, etc. You can put fluid in immediately after putting the cover on, and don't have to wait for it to dry. It is also very good for synthetic fluid, whereas I was told that regular RTV doesn't like synthetics. The stuff is ~$15 for a tube, about the size of regular black RTV! Not cheap at all.
    Joshua

12. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

The eaton Postive traction differental, commonly known as gov lock is an optional traction aid available from GM. Most 4x4 chevys came and still do come with them. This is also an option in 2wd trucks. In our trucks the RPO code is G80. This diff is frowned upon by many, however others have had no issue. It is common opnion that 10 bolt and 12 bolt axles with gov lock are junk and will hold up under stock tires and not much else. The same style of traction device in the 14 FF and SF is supposed to be stronger.

All this being said, run it until it breaks. If you dont do much hard core wheeling and have a light foot it will live. Take care of it.

In my axles I run 80-90 gear oil.

When changing the fluid I use Red RTV to seal the diff cover. I do not use a gasket. I have had no leaks.

I hope I have covered everything.

Dustin

13. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I have a gov-lock in my 14 sf and the general consensus around here is that if its in anything other than 10/12 bolt then its okay, it just doesnt have the manners of a detroit or the like. Everyone I talked to about the 14sf is youll be okay up to a 38 inch tire or so, then you might think twice about the gov lock

14. Citizen Rider

Like already stated, run it till it breaks. For us people on budgets that just wanna have fun, go with what you got.

15. Quackaddict

Ohh I wasn't complaining about it I just know that it isn't what some people go out of their way to have and I got the axle from Jolene who didn't know it was in there and I was actually just suprised when I popped the cover and saw it and I had never seen the gov-lock so I wasn't sure that is what it was. Something about you can't put a detroit in it????

Anyway this is a project build so they way I look at is for now I have a free traction device which I assume is better than an open diff and if it breaks I will deal with it then. I will be running a 37" tire when it is all done but 36's for now. My wheeling will be getting to wherever the duck are!!!!