Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what a day

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Orange, Apr 24, 2000.

1. Orange

Orange Registered Member

Whoa what a day. I didn't have school today so I thought maybe me and a freind could go do a little wheelin in The OL' Jimmy. So we get up the mountain aways on the trails and decide that we wanted something a little more interesting so we were just pulling off the side of the road at river washes and what not. SO I pull off and go down a little minute hill and decide I don't wanna go there so I pop it in reverse and it won't kick in. SO I said what the heck and we drove off into the river bed a little and then we needed the front four wheel drive to get over a little ditch. SO I lock in the hubs and put it in 4H and I hear this awfull grinding noise. Buy this time I'm freiken. So the only thing left that worked was the regular ol 2 wheel drive. Kick it in there and I buryied it in the ditch not to get it back out for 6 hours later. Didn't have tow chains in the truck (I know stupid). So To make a long story short I had to have a backho come and pull me out. I'm still not sure what all happened to the transfer case or the tranny but It still goes forward in drive and not in reverse or 4h or 4l. Tell me what happened if you can. please

Orange 84' Jimmy
    You can't see California with out Marlon Brando's eyes.

2. Orange

Orange Registered Member

Okay, after a little thinking, a came to the conclusion it must be in the tranny. Do I need to take it in to a shop and have em look at it? Do think they will have to rebuild it and if so how much does it cost? I need to get this thing drivable as it is my only way to work and school. Thanks

Orange 84' Jimmy
    You can't see California with out Marlon Brando's eyes.

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

you can pull your tranny and have a shop rebuild it for less than $300 or you can take it to a good shop and have the whole thing done in about a day for around $650
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guy depending on what kind of tranny you have and where you live, you can buy a rebuilt one for about $300 I live in California and I always see trannys for #300 - #400 rebuilt already so just look around you might find one good luck.

keep blazin !!!