Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 21, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just need to vent about my day. There is a kid that hangs out at our gas station(no place else to hang out for him) and well hes been looking at going into the Marines but he needs to get a physical and I know his heart isn't in it. He finally got kicked out of his place by his roommate today, and he came to me for help. I started calling every place I could trying to find a shelter. Well this being a fairly rich area for the most part and middle of nowhere there aren't any nearby! That and most of the places have stupid hours. You would expect a shelter or welfare place to have someone at the phone 24/7, nah they all work 8-4:30(4:40 when I called them @$#%). So luckily one of my really regular customers came in and when I asked her if she knew of any shelters she offered to put him up for a few days. So Tomorrow I get to call around looking for a place for this kid. He moved here from California a couple months back and has no family in the area and calls me his best friend. Hes really annoying and I don't like him but I feel to bad for him to just tell him to go away.

2. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

Well, you know that telling him to go away is wrong. I don't know if you believe in a higher power or anything like that but I think we need challenges in our lives sometimes. If you can't deal with something as minor as a poor kid then what can you handle??? I'm not judging you I'm using that as a general term. I think you're a good guy for looking for a place to put him up in. I'm sure you'll find something and then you'll just have to be real with him and tell him he's a big boy and from now on everything is going to have to be done on his own. Help him with finding a job too if you feel bad enough /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Would his family take him in if he went back home ??? Bus tickets arn't too expencive, and it just might feel good to help the kid out that way.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think your doing the right thing but dont let it go to far. You'll end up with a freeloading roomate. It happened to me once. Maybe you can talk him into heading home like what was suggested. Good luck.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

He hates his dad and his brother and doesn't want to head home I guess. I asked him about it, he hates Southern California now. I am gonna check the new newspaper today and look for a job. I know there is a local factory that starts out at $10 an hour. Its crappy work, hard, and no fun but its money. He has a job but its a dead end job at Wawa for $8 an hour.

6. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

sounds to me like you are doing the right thing ! just offering to help is alot more than most people would do.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats nice that you are trying to help him. That is real Commendable. just be careful, There are a lot of con artist's out there. Had a guy around here once with the same story,Turns out all the money people gave him as hand outs was spent on dope.........

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

he is a pot head, its gonna cost my $200 but I'm gonna tell him plain and simple, hey I looked around and I really think your best option is to go home and tough it out with your dad, I will pay for the bus ticket you just have to go. Nearest shelter of any sort that would take a 23 year old with no kid is like 45 minutes up the line and he won't be any better off up there.

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

LOL! This reminds me of something that happened to me about 5 years ago. The whole thing cost me about $1000 before it was finished but I finally got rid of the problem. No one has ever gotten to me for another nickle since then. Consider yourself lucky at $200...

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it's very noble that your trying to help someone out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sounds to me like this kid needs a serious dose of reality tho.. shouldn't be off buying weed when you can't afford an apartment, room, etc... and i'd bet he was a screwup at home, thats why he's gone. not so much the family are arseholes.. don't get burned... if your willing to buy a bus ticket, your a better man than most... i would try to get in touch with the family and find out what the real situation is and find out if they'll take him back.. maybe they'll even reimburse you.... good luck...

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thank god, he got another job and the woman who is puting him up, her daughter is gonna be his roommate so hes on his own now.