Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a Find a 400 small block for $100.00

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Oct 22, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

* background on leading to find *Yesterday im at work and a older toyota 4x4 shows up from our other store b/c they couldnt get the tires to balance correctly. The boss told me to do get the yota and see if i can get the tires balanced. I saw the prob when i went to get the truck, they had steel wheel weighs on the mag wheels and most of the weights had fallen off. I get the job done right and was talkin to the owner
    * the sb 400 * and he told me about this K5 jimmy he had a few years ago and all the stuff done to it and about the engine he was going to put in it. he sold the K5 b/c of death in the family and he still has this 400. he told me its never been bored, has reworked heads to fix the cooling problem the 400's have I think its called steam vents. He said basicly all i need is a crank and what ever else i want to upgrade on it. Told me to give him a price and im broke so i told i could get him 100 for it and he said thats fine. Im going to get it on monday and a engine stand for 10.00 also so 110 plus he said he has many parts for GM like old HEI with vacume adv. This will be going in the K1500. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Sweet deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

hey, since we're bragging about great deals, here's mine...

just [monday] bought a warn hs 9500 on multi mount with complete warn accesory kit (you know in the red bag) winch was used once, then guy sold his truck. $600 later it was allll mine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the best part is...i won't be able to afford the bumper for at least another two months! so for now i have a winch hanging out behind my rear seats just lookin cool /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

wow, 100 bucks for an original standard bore 400?with heads? that is cheap. As far as the "400's getting hot" as long as the steam holes are there than there isn't anything left to do. The problem with the siamese cylinder design as far as cooling goes( like a 400) is that it takes a bigger radiator to keep it cool. Don't know what he says by reworked. If they are original 400 heads than there is nothing to do to them for cooling. Is it a 4 bolt or 2 bolt main? I paid $300 for my 400 standard bore long block 2 bolt main core. Built a very nice motor out of it. I favor the 400's over any other small block because of their big block like torque output and plus they're getting rare and a 406 is getting kind of special, I catch plenty of interest from people when I say "406" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Anyway that is a great deal