Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a "free" winch realy cost.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Aug 25, 2003.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What a \"free\" winch realy cost.

Get comfy this may take a bit to tell the tale.
    About 2 years ago a guy in my shop and I were talkin about trucks, 4x4's and such. We start talkin about me gettin stuck all the time and how I am gettin pretty good with a high lift and all my recovery techniques. He says why don't ya get a winch. And ya know the story "well that would be handy but I don't have money for all of that". He says well the place we just moved into has an old Cornbinder 4x4 with a factory winch on it. It belongs to one of the wifes reletives and it is just sitting. He said the guy would prolly sell ya the winch and stuff off of it. At first the guy didn't want the rig any more, and gave it to Dan. I asked him to sell me the winch for a few bills but he wanted the rig for himself, winch and all. He said it looked like it would be a good rig to screw around with on the property and just generaly hell run it, I figured the rig was shot and didn't think anymore on it. Well the guy that owned it, a house painter and zero mechanical skills decides to keep it and get it going. Dan helps him get the engine running a 266 inline 6 and while dan was at work the guy decides to take it upon himself to replace the clutch. Well Dan gets home and the guy has the front clip off and the engine out. Says he figured that was the easiest way to replace it.
    Well Dan just let him go about his way and the guy replaced the clutch, reinstalled the engine and put the front end back together. Now the engine has a fresh battery and starts right up. He went to crank it up and the tranny was in gear and he did not seem to notice that the pedal was rock hard and when he hit the key the rig took off and he went through the shop wall with it before he could shut it down. He says the winch worked fine, they pushed the rig back put the t-case in nuetral and used it to pull part of the wall back in.
    Dan looks it over and determins that he installed the disk backwards or installed the wrong one.
    The guy basicly threw in the towel on it saying he was not going to tear the engine back out to fix it, Dan tells him that the way he replaced the clutch was not the way to do it that he just needed to pull the tranny. Well he was not going to do that either so back out to the feild it goes.
    A couple of weeks ago Dan and I were talking about buying land and so on. He said that he is trying to buy the place but the owner of the property wants it cleaned up so he can bring in someone to see what the land and house is worth. the owner shows up and Dan has about 12 or so cars and small trucks that are his, broke down and stripped all over the place, a few rigs that belong to friends that are torn apart and he told him to get rid of it all before the people from the bank came over, he has till this weekend to get them all gone. So I ask about the Binder and the winch and he says he has no time to fool with the truck and it is going to Shnitzers (scrap yard)He said if I wanted the winch I could have it. Of course I said yes and he said I will take it off and bring it to work, yesterday I spaced it out and drove the stang to work but no matter he had not even looked at it and anyway he wasn't going to put the nasty thing in his car. He has Sundays off But I told him I would come over and get it after work today. So I drive the 73 to work and it is acting kinda funny, no power overheating and stuff. at first I allmost bagged the whole thing but got to thinking about it and decided to see how it ran to the shop and if it seemed ok I would go out to his place, I live about 45 miles from the shop, Dan lives about 70 miles away from the shop in the opposite direction, She stayed about 210 going to work and I figured the worn out Q-jet I put on it to get it going again, was finally going to have to be swapped out with the 750 Ebrock that was on it. Dan calls me at the shop and asks if I drove the 73 and I told him yes, he said it is off come on out, bring some cold ones and we will load it up.
    I figured if I drove easy and didn't try to give it to much throttle it would be ok.
    I get 40 miles from the shop and start to pass a semi up a hill real easy and the rig starteed sputtering and dieing so I back out of it and get back in the right lane and get it up the hill at about 30mph, now the temp is getting to 230 and is not coming down going down the hill. I figure I am about 1 and a half hrs from home and about 30 minutes from his place so I decide to go all the way in and if I have to I will get a trailer and get it home. I stopped in at the 76 station to get more directions from him and the temp is almost to 250 I notice that the oil pressure is almost zero at idle and only about 15 at 3K. I start thinking that maybe that wasn't pinging I heard going up the last hill. More like maybe a rod knock. My stock gage sprang a leak awhile ago so I just put a temporary gage under the hood untill I could get it fixed, so I don't realy know how long it has been like that, and I was stuck in bridge traffic a few weeks ago just idleing for 2 hrs. overheating the whole time in 100 deg heat (stuck thermostat) I changed the oil and filter after that because after running at 230-240 for 2 hrs the oil was done for.
    Anyways.. while I was letting the rig cool off (starter heat soaked) I decided to drop some oil out and put in a gallon of fresh oil. That helped some, after I got it started again it was just above zero at idle so I bumped the idle up to 1100 to keep the pressure around 15 when at a light. Other than having to turn the idle down when I went to shut it off it seemed to be ok other than heating up real fast. I noticed that the block was sizzleing hot and the radiator was cool enough to handle, now I have a 4 core radiator and an 18" 6 blade fan and the shroud is taped off but even still it should be close to engine temp. So I shut it down again all hoses are looking ready to burst, so I drain some coolant into a jug so I can pop the cap, refill the radiator till it is just under the heater return port and get it started again. I raise the throttle and see that the coolant returning from the heater is barely flowing and there's hardly any coolant coming from the tubes, the bottom hose is in good shape so I pinched off the supply line to the heater and was able to get more flow through the tubes.
    Not much more but I figured it would be dark soon and the temp would drop and it would be ok. I finaly get to his house in boony land and he comes out and says there it is.
    I almost have it out. Now I just worked a 10 hour shift had almost no sleep the night before because I have some kind of stomache bug that makes me scared to fart unless I am firmly planted on a toilet. After almost $hitting the bed I didn't sleep much, and did not drink any coffee all day after the episode from the morning coffe. And I am a 2 - 3 pot of coffee a day kind of guy. So I am real tired, feel like crap, hungry as hell from not eating for two days and smelling that damn Nabisco plant all day and just want to load the damn winch and stuff up and try to make the 2 hr drive home with out any more friggin drama.
    Well he got the winch off and that was it. couldn't get the slip shaft or the yokes off, bumper still on and he says I'll let you pull the pto off.
    I figure I am there I might as well suck it up and get what I came for.
    I asked if the bumper mount bolts were frozen and he says you want the bumper too? I explained that while I can build a cradle and a bumper for the winch it would be easier to just modify that one. he looks at all the stuff and says damn that is alot of gear and worth something, I tell him I am nearly broke, but since it is alot of stuff and even though an 8000 pto winch it is worth something. So we haggle a bit and I get him a pack of smokes a 12 pack and since he has been eyeing and checking out my Gargoyle shades , I trade him those for his $2 gas station shades.
    I figure what the hell, I rarely wear em anymore, my eyes have gotten worse over the years and they are not persciption and I only wear them when I am driving into the sun,and am half blind anyway.
    So I look over the rig and it is on 31's all 4 flat and not even my narrow ass can even begin to see under the rig, as it is it is in between 2 cars and in hip deep grass. Sitting on realy loose soil as well. We tried to pull it out so I would have room to work but the wheels had burrowed down into the dirt and there was no moving it. Since it was getting dark I just said screw it, gathered up some plywood and took the handle off the jack so I could operate it (car a foot away) spent 30 minutes getting the handle back down because it is spring loaded and after a bunch of cussing and rolling in the dirt we have it high enough that I can sorta get under it, the jack stand isn't realy tall enough and I won't get under a rig only supported by a wobbly jack . I figured 6 bolts/nuts and disconnect the shift lever and it would be on the ground. with little trouble, I remove them all the time at work.
    Boy was I in for a good time. What I thought was the t-case hanging down was actualy the pto, At first I thought it had a Brownnie box on it, I get a light and see that the pto is one I have never seen, friggin huge and the "brownie box was the t-case, it is a divorced unit and has no pto provision. So the Pto is mounted to the gearbox, I drained the gearbox and pto and only got 1 quart out of them, the rest appeared to be slathered on the gearbox and pto with about 40 years of dirt that had the consistency of concrete.
    the pto looks large because it has an adapter mounted to the gearbox, and the pto mounts to that to give the proper output angle. I have a large selection of tools in the 73, but the case on the pto and adapter have no room to put a socket on them, even after grinding down a 1/4" drive 9/16.
    They have to be wrenched off. I was only able to turn most of the 12 bolts/nuts one flat. I didn't even think about bringing my offset wrenches and my stubby 9/16 was still to long as it bottomed out against the floorboard and trans tunnel, and it literly looked like they had not been removed in 37 years. and after 37 years they had eroded enough that even my Snap on wrench was trying to round them off.
    By now it is totaly dark, I am friggin filthy from the dust and gearlube, but I was not going to go home with out every single peice of that set up. And as it was in a feild and did not have a torch I took a cheap 13mm filed it to fit cut it off and using a hammer and punch was able to get the pto and adapter off, only after getting the friggin jack out of the way, the pto was hitting the plate and since we took off the handle and left some pressure on it to help stabilize the truck it was a real futher mucker.
    Then the pto just fell right out, right into the platic pan of gearlube splitting the bottom and making an even bigger mess to crawl around in. I finaly got the yoke off of the pto and was able to snake the shaft and pillow blocks out.
    I dragged the pto out and little wonder it was so heavy, it is some twin shaft pto. It only has one output on it but can be configured to have a front and rear output. 4 hrs later and I had the whole rig in the back of my truck.
    So as I am cleaning up I take a closer look at the ol Binder, All wheel drive 1100 (says so on the fender) with full time hubs, D44 closed knuckle and looks to be a D44.
    rear axle, I crawled back under to see what kinda T-case would be a divorced full time unit but with out a chisle and time and better light all I can say is that it had one shift rail and was about the size and shape of a divorced 205. the shift lever was just a simple cast iron lever set off to the side, 4wheel high all the way foward, then 4 lock, nutrual, then either 4wheel low and then 4 low lock. That's what the faded sticker on the dash said.
    The tranny is another critter I didn't recognize but I haven't done much research on early Binder 4x4's. The one fender badge says IHC farm and implement.
    So I get to realy looking at the rig and it is a 1/2 ton or
    whatever they classed the 5 lug axles as.
    It is a stepside longbed and there is not a dent other than the drivers door looking like it had been left open and someone backed it into something. No rust that I could see, but if there is the steel is thick enough that you could easily weld it.
    Manual steering and actualy in very good shape considering it has sat outside for who knows how long. Kinda odd looking in that Binder sort of way, the stepside realy looks odd on it.
    And the winch and bumper are original equipment, The bumper is shaped to the front end and all the brackets for the bumper and pillow blocks that were attached to the frame were stamped steel with part numbers on them. It is definately not a homemade set up. The bumper is not some homemade job, allthough it is not very sturdy, the cradle that the winch sits in and bolts to the frame looks to be strong enough, but the body is just for looks, There is a spot right in front where a hook was attached and it pulled it out some. Anyways I told Dan that the ol Binder while a little weathered it would be a shame to send it to the scrap yard, he does't have the time to fool with it and just wants it gone. He said if you think it is so neat you can have it. He had applied for a lost title and was going to pursue getting it going again, so he said that he will put it off to the side and when he gets the title it is mine if I still want it.
    So it's late and I head out with my sick rig, get all turned around and have no idea where in the hell I am at and finaly manage to get back on the Freeway 45 minutes later.
    The truck is acting up bad and I don't know if it is gonna make it home. I call my buddy and tell him that he might be makin a road trip to come and trailer me home.
    I'm almost to Portland and have been at it for nearly 18 hrs I am watching the temp gage more than the road and I notice that I missed my exit and am doing about 50 in the right lane when I pass a Trooper that has someone pulled over.
    A few minutes later he is on me with the lights on so I pull over and when he gets to the window I said why did you pull me over, I was doing 50 and the limit is 55.
    He says for one thing you were following the car in front of you a little to close, I start to get irritated and am about to be impolite, when he says but the main reason is that you have no tail lights, I looked at the dash and the dash lights were on so I just sat there going GREAT what next. He then says and I am going to cite you for not wearing your seatbelt. I tell him if ya let me open the door you will see that I am wearing a belt, this rig did not come equipped with shoulder belts. He just looks at it all and wants my insurance and registration. I said fine my flashlight rolled off the seat can I get it to see what I am doing, he says sure, the door is open and he is following my movements with his light. I see my Mag light and start to grab it when I realized that the Crossman pellet gun pistol that was in the tool box but I took it out and laid it on the seat when getting tools, and just set it on the floor when I took off.
    I had forgot about it and when his light hit it he seen it and I sat straight up with my hands at shoulder height. he grabs his pistol and I say rather loudly whoa whoa it's a bb-gun. So after he gets me out of the cab and searches me and calls in more troopers, starts in on me about why I didn't inform him that I had a firearm on the floor. I try to tell him that it is just a pellet gun and I had just set it there a little bit ago and that I didn't think about it being there untill his light hit it. I told him that it was in the tool box and it was on top and I had set it on the seat and just didn't put it back when I took off.
    Now there are troopers all around my rig and I am still standing there with my hands shoulder high. I ask him if I can stand easy now that they have verified that it is indeed a pellet gun and he says why, are you uneasy?
    I said no just tired and that he was the one that was telling me over and over to not move and keep my hands where he could see em. I said am I still considered a threat or can I relax now. he says fine relax, can I search your rig for weapons, sure I say, and also there are no drugs in there and I have not been drinking. So they get all that sorted out and he asks why I have a pellet gun, why I was in Hood river at midnight when I lived in Deer Island, where was I going? I tell him home, he says how, I say Hwy 30?? he gets this suspious look and says you can't get to hwy 30 from here, just how do you plan on getting there, I just said look I missed my exit, My mom lives right over there, I'll take blaa blaa bla road and come out on 30. So now he seems satisfied that I have been at work all day, went to Hood River and picked up a winch, and was on my way home.
    And despite my appearance, had not shaved in 4 or 5 days, was covered in dirt and gear lube, hair not pulled back and going everywhere, shirt off because it had nasty gear lube on it, tattoos.. you get the picture.
    So we then get back to why he pulled me over, no lights in rear. he shines his light at my bumper and says what are those wires hanging down?
    I then notice that one of my 100 watt back up lights is gone and the other one has wires hanging from it and is looking beat up. I ask if I can get my light and I duck under and see that the rear harness is shredded and missing all the way to the crossmember over the rear diff. I tell him that it has some wiring issues. Of course he says I cannot drive it and wants to have it towed.
    I tell him I have everything I need to repair it in my toolbox. But I did not want to lay under the truck right next to the freeway. So he followed me to the next exit till I got to a parking lot.
    I have 6' of 7 wire trailer cord in both rigs just for such stupid $hit. I go to get it out and realize that I took it out and used some and it was sitting on the bench, next to my box of electrical supplies and wire strippers. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Now I am beyond frustrated and more than just a little irrated. So I get back under and see if there is enough wire
    to make something work but it is a friggin mess, So I just laid there smokin a ciggarete lookin at it going what in the hell is this $hit.
    I look at the backup light closer and see teeth marks on it, and then remember moving rigs around a few days ago and I had parked it by Blazer. That damn dog ate my light and all the wires she could grab, and if it wasn't for the diff she prolly would have gone even farther. And I had told the ol lady a few weeks ago not to park the rigs by her because she ate the corner off the front licence plate on the Stang. I suppose I can't be to pissed at her, she is just a damn dog. And I was the one who parked it by her, I just didn't think she would use my 3/4 ton rig as a freakin chew toy.
    What realy chaps my as$ is that I had drove it to work in the dark, in traffic, then got on the freeway at night with traffic and no one honked, waved or indicated that something was wrong. Oh well no real harm done.
    Lucky for me I had another set of strippers and was able to use the wires that didn't go anything in the engine bay. I had to use alot of small peices and a bunch of duct tape but I finaly made it home at 4am, I had left for work at 6am the day before.
    But I did bring home a complete Ramsey 8000lb PTO winch.
    And may be bringing home a comlete all original 1966 International 4x4 stepside pick up.
    So it's all good. I do have to say that I was never so damn happy to get home. That was one long freakin day.
    Oh while I am venting about my whacked day, after I get the lights fixed I see that I need gas, like right now or my day is gonna get even better. I pull into the first station I see that is open and ask if it is alright if I leave the engine running because the starter is heat soaked and I may not get it started again. he says no you can't, it is a fire hazard. I start to tell him that I need fuel badly then I just said screw it do you have a gas can I can use, I will park over in that empty lot and put it in over there. He didn't have a can I could borrow but was more than happy to sell me a 2 gallon one. so after 5 trips across the street I was on my way.
    I'm done. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Re: What a \"free\" winch realy cost.

Can I make a suggestion?

GO TO BED AND DON'T GET UP FOR 3 DAYS!!!!

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sounds like a typical day.
    where lies the trouble?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very cool that you now have a winch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif sorry you had to go through all that but it was a good read /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like one of my "FREEBIE" episodes!!.I'm tired just from reading your post!-I think I'll have to go get a beer! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif-sounds like you had a real bad time-doesnt it seem the police are out to make your day worse when it already bad? Not bashing them,there just doing their job,but they can be real anal in my experience also--they dont like anything old or modified much around here(like lifted trucks)but the teenage yuppies in their mustang gt's can smoke the tires at every redlight and drive recklessly,and they dont look at them twice /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifBut try to bring a truck home on a trailer(or with a ramptruck thats homebuilt and privately owened)they seem to jump right on you. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think the seatbelt law is just another excuse for them to pull you over and look for other things,like DWI or weed--its not about safety,its about control and privacy invasion,in my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I dont condone either of those activities--but they abuse the law sometimes.I hope that winch gets you out of a bad jam someday after all that! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

OMG... holy long crazy post batman! WOW... I'd thought that I've had bad days before. That one puts the iceing on the "REAL bad day" cake. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I figure after reading all that I should respond. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    At least everything turned out all right for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Heh, I was reading it right after you posted it, then took a break in the middle and got something to eat and watched some TV. When I came back and finished reading it it was the only post on my screen (I guess I hadn't refreshed it in a bit) <--Understatement. When I finished I posted my response and it was something like 6th in Replies. That was one long damn post!

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should send that in as a short story to a 4x mag:-)

11. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

... Or a long one. Maybe even a 2 part write-up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I'm exhausted by reading that, I couldn't imagine living through it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

John