Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a Night.....................

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 30, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'd have to say that last night, to date may have been the most exciting on the job so far.

It started out early, when I stopped two guys while going to the office. Both of them old, BFD, slow down. The one guy, I couldn't see how he was driving so fast, the crosswind was bad.

So I leave the office, dispatch calls me, tells me about something going on in one of my little towns, no big deal, I'll go there in a couple of hours. Go see my sis at the place she works and eat some food.

Leave and dispatch tells me that the person that called wants to talk to me today, so I start moseying. Before I leave town, I serve some papers from Texas on some guy down in the barrio, and start towards the town.

I don't even get out of town, there's a lady and her three kids on the side of the road with a flat. She's not interested in a tow truck, so I say WTF, might as well change it for her. Get my stuff out, and of course my lug wrench is too big and she doesn't have one. And of course every once on duty is still at grub. I think they should be going 10-8 within a few minutes, I'll wait and see if they have anything. Two minutes go buy and one of the local city cops from one of the small towns calls in a pursuit, names the driver and I know this could get ugly.

I talk to the lady real quick, she can call someone, and she'll try Fix A Flat and get the car back into town. I hop in and start spurring the ponies.

Even though there is another cop in another town 10 miles away to back this guy up, that cop is at my jail booking in a DUI, so it looks like I'm going to be the first backup to arrive, and I'm 20 miles away.

At this time, I had a strong tailwind and my car was cutting out at 130, but wasn't having any problems keeping up. Within a couple of minutes, we lose all contact with the pursuing officer. This is not good cause the guy he is chasing, well to put it mildly we've had a hard-on to catch this guy being stupid.

Highway Patrol is the first to find the cop. He was behind the guy, running about 110 when the road turned from pavement to dirt. I'm here to tell ya, that's downright scary. A 3000? pound car doing those speeds on dirt is like driving on ice almost. I've wound mine up to 80-85 on the dirt and that's just about fast enough for me folks. By the way, ABS isn't on dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The officer lost control and slid off into a field. Car didn't roll, but I do feel bad for the guy cause he had to wash and wax the car the night before cause he was leading the parade Saturday morning. Not to mention it was the chief's new car. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Popped two tires and warped the plastic shield on the front bumper. Our Exploder pulled him out and got him going.

Now to give you an idea how we operate. We do have our off days, but when something like this happens, phone calls start getting made and most of us have scanners in our houses, so everyone ramps up to help out.

We find the guys and to assist the PD out, myself and another deputy transport these clowns to our motel. I found out the drunk idiot that I had was the clown that ran from me a couple of weeks ago, and he wasn't too thrilled when I told him that. At least he was cordial compared to the other guy.

So we get them to jail and I've got to go to dispatch to get some info. I'm there almost 30 minutes cause our dispatcher is flooded with this that and the other. So much for small town life. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

So I go back down to my sister's restaurant to get a refill and by this time, everybody had heard about the crazy police pursuit. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I finally get to work (by the way, I ended up phoning the guy on the report I was suppose to take). By this time, it's 1030, I've been on for 5 hours and I've put only 100 miles on the odometer.

I finally get out into the county and decide I'm gonna head back to town early for DUI patrol. I gas up about midnight. While I was there, I had to relieve myself. So I do the deed and take off.

I got a couple of miles down the road when I do my normal equipment check on my belt. Of course I find that I left my [darn] pager and spare car key, along with my handcuff key on my trunk when I was watering the grass.

I haul back to the gas tank and sure enough I can't find them. Happy happy joy joy.

I head back towards town /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif when I get behind a car that is not exactly adhering to the little white lines denoting the lanes in the street, so I light this guy up so I can find out what his problem is, or like that previous thread stated, harass him.

Well, where we were, there wasn't exactly a lack of places for this guy to stop, but he is not stopping. Oh joy, I'm wondering what these clowns are hiding. I'm about ready to call dispatch to copy the plate when he turns off on a side street and stops. RIGHT there in the street. By this time, I'm pretty well running white hot. I jump on the PA, tell him to pull off the street cause not only is he blocking it, I'm just past the intersection in the street also. After three commands telling this guy to pull off, he starts getting out. WTF /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I finally jump out and start pointing. By the way, he was of Hispanic orgin (not as an insult, but to show that I had a slight language barrier in my communications with the guy). Unfortunately, apparently this guy doesn't understand sign language either, so he just hops back in the driver's seat. I start working my magic.

Now if you have never dealt with someone of another language, I've usually had no problems. I know just enough and most of them I have dealt with can understand my feeble attempts at their language. Not this guy.

He finally understands that I want his driver's license. "Casa" was his reply. So since this guy isn't understanding me, I pull my notebook and using my nametag as a visual aid, he writes his name.

Outstanding, we are getting somewhere. So now comes fun and games when I try to get his birthdate from him. I finally used my driver's license as a visual aid and he starts writing, but he tells me he was born last year. After a few more words, he finally gets the year.

So I get back to my car and do the deed over the radio. Now some of you know that at 0100, a situation like this, something is going to come back fouled up and sure enough it did. At least the car wasn't stolen, but the return came back on the guy as "Not valid." [darn] more joy for Bubba. Of course there is no Spanish speakers within 20 miles and my dispatcher is new so I finally say [darn] it. The guy ain't drunk, stoned and/or really screwing up more than crossing over a line a couple of times. Sure as hell ain't going to be any drugs in the damn car so I give the poor soul his paper work back and hop in my car and leave.

So much fun, yippie..............

So now here I sit, on call, wife wanting to go to the races tonight, but with no pager, and really not trusting dispatch to call my cell if I'm needed, I'm stuck.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Screw "Reno 911"...We need "Bubba 911" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I've only seen two episodes of that show and it's [darn] hilarious.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Sounds like youve been busy there. Question.........= as a police officer,is cali more of a ruthless place,or tex???jake

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like youve been busy there. Question.........= as a police officer,is cali more of a ruthless place,or tex???jake

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes not in Texas. He had to go to Oklahoma because we wouldnt let him in the state. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Leader of the banned? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifThats cool ,i thought he was in tex for some reason.I guess i answered my own question then.Much more crazys in cali.Ok.have a good one. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifjake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one could probably be discussed past China.

Good comparisons can be made, but bad ones also and really, one cannot use a whole state for them either.

CA-a boatload more tweakers, gangbangers, cars, people.

OK-not that many people, not that many tweakers and the gangbangers are a joke.

Out in CA, you will see a lot of people don't have a clue when the cops are rolling Code 3 to a call, and hangs the cops up.

Out here, the [darn] seas part like the Red Sea when we're rolling. We will still have one a**hole that will [darn] it up for us, I had one last night.

I really cannot make a determination one way or the other. In most places out there, backup is only a couple of minutes away. Granted, the rural areas is going to be a little more like us. In fact, I would say that the real rural areas would be longer than us just because we mostly have straight roads that we can fly down.

Out there, I don't know of many that have communications problems, except way up in the mountains.

Out here, I normally lose radio contact for a few minutes everyday.

Out there, with the percentage of dumbasses cops come into contact with, cops are probably a little more safety conscious. Out here, it's a rare thing.

Out there, only dumbasses usually have guns in the cars. Out here, it's everyone.

Out there, and not saying this is true everywhere out there, but in some places it is, departments don't help out other departments. Out here, if something goes down, it's all about the brotherhood. Last night, we had three agencies involved. We had a fourth waiting to help if needed, and another was tied up on a DUI. The previous pursuit, there were five agencies represented. We respect the state lines and county lines in regards to most everything, but critical incidents, those lines mean nothing except for the paperwork.

When it comes down to it, it's a dangerous job period. I could be in a big city, with back-up two blocks away, make a traffic stop and that would be it just as easy as I could out here with my back-up twenty minutes away.

I will say this, I do honestly think officer safety in CA is taken a lot seriously than it is out here. There's nothing like making a passenger side approach on a vehicle. People expect them to come to you. For the most part, if I cannot see into a vehicle, then I go passenger side. It's a little rougher to do on a slope, in the weeds and dirt, but if I get up to the car and surprise the driver, then I've succeeded. A lot of cops, when they are going to write a ticket, pull the driver out and sit them in the passenger seat. That's a tactical blunder in my book. My car is my church and the only people allowed in it are ride alongs, myself and those sinners deemed by the State of Oklahoma worthy of taking a ride in the back seat.

Another thing is that out there, how many times do you see a cop has someone stopped and they are off the roadway? Pretty much all of them. Out here, most cops have it set that once their lights go on, the people need to stop right then and there. They may be on the side of the road, but they are still in the line of traffic. I don't have a problem following someone for five miles until there is a safe place to stop, or jumping on my PA and telling them to pull off further, even if it's the [darn] 3 ft. weeds.

There may be circumstances that we cannot control, but if we control the ones that we can, then we may just make our job safer.

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok,just curious.I used to have an ex from Oaklahoma,what a good country girl she was."Down Home" would be the characteristics. Yeah man.....i used to have a Flashing Beacon on top of one of my plumbing trucks.....everyone would pull over while going 85 on the freeway /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.....I used it only for EMERGENCY Plumbing calls though,so im safe and not breaking the law........ EMRGENCY!!!! EMERGENCY!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I felt like the PLUMBING POLICE /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I used it only for EMERGENCY Plumbing calls though,so im safe and not breaking the law........ EMRGENCY!!!! EMERGENCY!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thank God for Commercial insurance too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

should've said "cuff him and stuff him!" no english, no valid DL, book him Danno.

way to go, yet another possible illegal slips though the fingers. all because you didnt wanna do your job.

13. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Hey beater.....are you a cop? Have you ever been in at the situation?...I didn't think so. How bout you go back to your cushy office job an shut the hell up. Everbody can be an arm chair QB, but the ones who critisize us the MOST are the ones who know they dont have what it takes could never be a police officer. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well Mr. Beater citizen, I'm sorry if I offended you, but since you're the all knowing, tell me this.............How do you know that he was illegal?????????

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Yeah, okay, just go ahead and drink from the STFU cup and go back to something that you do actually know.

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

!!!!!!! Just Go Ahead And Drink From The STFU CUP!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif BWWWWWWWAHAHAHAHAH!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ahhhh bubba you make me feel all warm and fuzzy with your war stories (and actually pretty fair analogies between "here" and "there")
    time to get you a publicist and make you the next Wanbaugh...
    as I read your story I couldnt help thinking....
    man am I happy to be retired... I dont think I could take one more knucklehead without losing it and going 5150

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

can he prove to you that he is a legitimate citizen? no, so until he can do so, he should be considered a non-citizen. its irrelevant wether i've been in the situation or not. you may have had one of millions of society's leaches within your grasp, and you let him go. all because you were too damn lazy to do your job, and you let him go. sure, he's just one, but every one counts. but, what do i know, i'm just a dumb ass citizen who helps generate a paycheck for many just like you. not real sure, but i think we're gettin F@%^#! on this deal.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you know that he was illegal?????????

[/ QUOTE ] Not trying to hijack your thread Bubba. But I've always though part of being in this country leagly, would be able to speak english. But that would be INS's job too check that out. Sorry for the hijack.