Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a royal pain that was....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, May 2, 2003.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

So, I'm in the process of pulling my injector pump, so according to the R&R guide from the Diesel page, I had to pull my intake manifold (I'm putting a J back on it anyway). That last bolt on the left side, against the firewall, under the vacuum thingy...holy cow. Took me like an hour just to get that bolt off. I did find a wrench between my cylinder banks, coated in black sludge. I've gotten more free tools out of that truck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif...
    I'm going to totally clean out the engine while I"m in there so it's all shiny when I'm done.
    Everything that getting done:
    New injector pump
    New intake Manifold
    Cleaned engine and fuel lines
    New Thermostat (185 Robertshaw)
    Radiator flushed
    New belts

Should run pretty durn well when I'm finished. Anything I should look for while I'm digging in? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry to give you this information now, but what you could have done was loosen the bolt/clamp holding the vacuum pump in place, and then rotated it out of the way. Nothing like having this kind of information after the job is done, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Congrats on the injection pump R&R! You might want to consider new injectors while you're at it.

Casey

3. 4x4dreamer

I couldn't see where the clamp was...and I'm sore as hell today from all the funky positions I had to sit in (in the engine bay) to get that thing out. The J intake is going to be way fun. I'm going to try to get a pic of the two side by side so people can see the difference. I'd like to do the new injectors, they just cost too damn much. The guy at the local diesel shop said not to worry about it. I just put 2 new fuel filters on and have put less then a mile on them, so it should be happy truck when I'm done...which means happy me.

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anything I should look for while I'm digging in? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif More tools /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

I'm waiting for a torque wench to fall out of the headliner....maybe someday /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif