Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a trip! Story and photos. UPDATED ACCIDENT REPORT!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, May 3, 2004.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

First let me say that I'm just glad to have made it home in one piece. Now let me pose this question... WTF is wrong with people these days? I was being passed by F350s pulling huge trailers and they were doing in excess of 80 mph. SUVs by the hundreds doing 90 plus. People weaving all over the freeways at high rates of speed trying to gain one more car length ahead as if it was going to help them get where they are going any faster and then they just end up getting off the highway a couple of miles up to rest and get gas!!!

It's total assholiness I tell ya. People are kiling each other out there. The first wreck was just outside of Vegas on the other side of the freeway. 5 or 6 cars involved. Lots of emergency vehicles and sure enough our side was all stopped up from lookiloos. I told Bill to get the camera out and shoot a pic but he was just gawking at the carnage and didn't do it. It was a real mess. One car was under an SUV and they were working on extricating the victim. Once past the accident, people started speeding up to out of controll speeds again. They didn't seem to learn a thing about what they had just witnessed.

We continued our trek towards St. Gearge, Utah stopping along the way at places like Virgin River Gorge at the AZ - Utah border. It's a beautifull place but they ruined it by puting the freeway through there. It's like mini Grand Canyon...

[​IMG]

We made it to St. George in one piece, took care of business and headed back the next morning. I didn't get to look over St. George much as we wanted to get our business done and stop at a place called Red Rock Canyon west of Vegas on our way back. Once there we found that over the last several years, the state of Nevada and BLM have decided to fence everything off and charge people to get in. $10 for a lousy campsite 2 miles away from the canyon with cops and rangers driving through every hour. I guess they want to make sure no one is stealing the bolted to concrete all metal tables. We paid the money and got our campsite and headed towards the canyon. We had already gone by the pay station there and purchased our pass to get in. Only problem was there was a terrible accident that had just happened in the last 10 minutes blocking our way. 3 motorcycles and 2 cars had a head on colision. It was impossible to tell exactly what had happened. The only authorities present at the time was the BLM lady from our camp ground and she was busy directing traffic. Passer by people were all over the place assisting the injured. One guy who I suspect was one of the motorcycle victims was on the side of the road with both legs broken and bones sticking out. 2 people were assisting him and his bike was another 200 feet down the road. It looked like someone had dropped it out of an airplane. The 2 cars were still locked up at the front ends and they were a mess. You could barely see the victims inside. One was a convertible and there was a guy in a squating position behind and on top of the driver holding her head with both hands as if she has a broken neck. People were screaming. It was horible. There were 2 other motorcycles involved from what I heard later but I didn't see them. I handed the camera to Bill as we were not allowed to stop and help but Bill again was too flabergasted to operate it. And from what I could see I'm just as glad he couldn't get the camera to work on this one.

UPDATE ON ACCIDENT!
    I'm really happy to report that only one person died and that the info I got from the camp host was wrong. There was only one motorcycle involved and he was the one who died. It was also not his fault... Here's the News Story. It's the one invloving the "Red Rock Area".

We were motioned to keep moving and leave the scene and got to the entrance of Red Rock Canyon. We entered and started the "Scenic Loop Drive". It's a 13 mile loop that has multiple parking areas where people get out and take pictures and such. What a waste I thought. We got half way through the loop when I got out and looked through the binoculars to see how things were going at the accident scene. The second emergency vehicle was just showing up. I told Bill that we might as well try to find some shade because from the looks of the traffic building up in both directions we weren't goin to get back to the campsite anytime soon.

We found an offshoot road and took it. Turns out there is a dirt road leading out away from the whole area and of course I took it. It goes high up into the mountains. I passed another 4wd truck and asked some questions. Turns out this road goes all the way to Lovelle NV. and then on to Parumph which is famous for it's Brothels! Unfortunately it was too late in the day to go the whole route but we went about half way and found some shade to kick back in for a while.

[​IMG]

The dirt road started looking more and more like a trail untill finally it became one. You and I would consider this a mild trail but it did have it's fun parts. The higher we got the more trees there were and lots of colors. Everything was in bloom and it was a pretty sight after all the dust and desert we had been through. We spent most of the rest of the day on this trail and happened along this guy who was using a small handheld electric air pump to put air in his tire. We stopped so he could finish and found out that he was puting air into the SPARE TIRE! He didn't have a lot of tread on any of his tires and said he had punctured the other one earlier in the trip... LOL!!

[​IMG]

ALong the way we saw some really nice scenery including this rock formation that we dubbed "Monkey Rock". We later found out that they actually do call this formation Monkey Rock...

[​IMG]

Once the sun started going over the mountainside we decided to discontinue the trek and go back down the trail. We assumed that the wreck had been cleared by then. As we passed by the scene the cops were still picking through the wreckage and all the victims were gone. There were lots of painted arrows and cones and stuff all over the highway and I assume it was all part of the investigation. We arrived at the campground where I talked to the campground host about the accident. He is a retired EMT and said the cops told him that no one knew what happened. He said that they only expected one victim to survive and that was the guy with the two broken legs. Both compound fractures. So at this point I don't know any more details. Maybe someone who lives near there can update me with what they saw on the news.

We made dinner and passed out at the camp ground. Man I was tired. The next morning it was windy and getting hot fast so we broke camp and got back on the road to Calif. Once again the idiots were out there doing 90mph plus and weaving all over the freeways trying to kill each other. Just outside of Baker CA we suddenly noticed a column of black smoke in the distance. And yes, we saw brake lights. Luckily there was an offramp coming up. We got off just as the traffic was coming to s stop and took a half dirt and half asphalt frontage road as far as we could to see what was going on.. This time I took control of the camera and we got some pics. We also noticed that even though the car was still burning in the middle of the road. We even heard the gas tank explode... So we got back on the freeway after we saw the fire truck make it's way towards the fire...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the video I shot of the fire truck trying to make it's way to the scene HERE.

After that we just stayed pretty much in the second lane at 65 and 70mph and watched in awe as people hauling trailers passed us on both sides at very high rates of speed. Amazingly we encountered no more accidents but witnessed a few very close calls....

What a trip! Geeesh, I haven't seen that much carnage in one trip ever in my life. I wonder if the almost full moon had anything to do with how stupid people were acting behind the wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif When I got home last night I drank some beer, announced that I was back here on CK5 and thanked God that I was still alive.... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Re: What a trip! Story and photos.

Wow!! What a trip!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Glad you weren't in the middle of any of that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Wow, what a story! Thank God you wern't involved in any of this. I agree, its amazing the risks people are willing to take with their lives and the lives of others around them to simply get one car length ahead. I think as we get older we begin to see just how idiotic it all is.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My daughter and I just did a somewhat short road trip down to Vancouver WA and back home yesterday. I found the traffic to be almost subdued...and running at a steady 68-70 mph on the way back. Very few people going much over or much under the limit. For a 600 mile trip to only get cut off by one person...it was almost eerie.

Rene

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Damn! Too bad ya didn't get any more pics... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It seems to be mostly LA folks that are in WAY too much of a hurry. I drove from Colorado Springs to LA a couple of summers ago and found the traffic to be pretty decent. At least until I reached Vegas. From there all the way to LA people were driving like they were in the freakin' Indy 500 or something. Even at 1 o'clock on a Tuesday morning traffic was nearly bumper-to-bumper but people were still weaving and bobbing in their BMW's and SUV's like maniacs. I'm sure glad that I don't live in that mess! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. landsmasher

I tend to agree. Most all of the crazy driving habits I witnessed happened in Vegas and south of there on the 15. North of Vegas it was a lot more calm and there were no accidents. Hmmm... what a concept. Now you see why I can't wait to get out of this insane place... [​IMG]

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That burned-out car looks like one of those "safe" Volvo wagons. Guess they're not too safe when there's a major malfunction in the steering wheel/accelerator/brake actuator... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Remind me to never go on a trip with you /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

j/k /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    That burned-out car looks like one of those "safe" Volvo wagons. Guess they're not too safe when there's a major malfunction in the steering wheel/accelerator/brake actuator...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! well from the looks of the two occupants we kinda figured they were fumbling with the crack pipe and dropped it on the floor... LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Reminds me of my only "Crazy story" of life experience

Short version

Stopped to help a couple (black couple) in a Honda Civic on the side of the road at 10pm in the middle of nowhere. I was in my truck, aunt was in a burb. Aunt was pissed off because I could have bgeen killed. Anyway. Apparently they had run out of gas. Nice people! Anyway my crappy gas jug leaks when I dump some in, so captain genius, the black male, whipes out a Bic and lights it up so I can see better.....

CIVIC FLAMBE

He's wiggin out and I'm kind of standing there, shocked anyone woiuld be that stupid, and I say, go get my cooler out of my truck. He does a flying leap and grabs it, we put it out with soda and wait for to police.........

I love helping out.....

Anyawys, gload you;re back safe cowboy, now go shoe your horse