Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What a trip!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbLover, Apr 14, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

On the weekend of 2-3 April, my Mom's house in upstate NY flooded her first floor with about 4-6 inches of water. So, my brother left Tuscon AZ at 1100 on 4 April and picked me up in Co Springs that evening around 2130. We headed to NY around 2200 that evening and got at my Mom's house (approx 1700 miles) around 0500 on 6 April. Pretty much straight through swapping at each tank of fuel. We were able to get some sleep, waking at 0900 that AM to start removing contents of first floor into a 40' trailer my Mom had rented. By 2000 that Wed, we had the entire contents of the first floor (2 bdrms, 1 bath, kitchen, living, 4 closets) in the railer and had also removed all floor tile and carpet. We had also rented 1 dehumidifier and had approx 15 fans going throughout the house. Time to go to bed for a decent nights sleep. The next day we took a huge load of flood damaged stuff to the landfill. We were able to save the fees due to the flood. Then off to Lowes shopping for new stuff. Got some new sub-floor, joint compound, lots of screws, and linoleum tile squares. I'm not a big fan of these, but they are easier and time was crucial. Anyway, went back and started to replace to sub-floor that we just didn't think would dry out good enough. By this time, the floor in two rooms was drying great. Turbo fans are the sh!t!! These things put out some serious air. Over the next few days, we replaced each room as it became dry. We also sprayed 1:1 mix of industrial grade bleach (mega-strong) on the floors to kill anything that might even want to think about living. This sh!t was strong. A fan sprayed some mist back on my brothers shorts and it took less than 15 minutes for the blue dye to become whitish-pink. :crazy: We also got new carpet at a store in town. I was able to get a great deal as I graduated w/ the manager & even briefly dated the asst manager. When I explained the circumstances, we saved an addidtion $200-$300. It's nice to know people :thumb: Got the carpet in my Mom's bedroom and the living room done Sat & got her moved back in. Big sigh of relief for her as she was able to stop staying with friends and the thought of her life getting back together was becoming reality. Sun did rest of carpet in house & worked on some loose ends. Monday finished trim stuff and almost completely moved her back in. She has a few friends that were gonna help her finish the last few things. So, Tues afternoon at 1030 we left and arrived in Co Springs at noon Wed. My brother styed the night and left this AM to drive back to Tucson. One long freakin' trip that I am soooooo glad is over!! Now, time to go back to work so I can get some rest. :grin:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Holy carp,

you must love you Mom a whole lot.

3. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Glad to see you made it back ok. I was wondering what your status was. How was the drive through my hometown, wish I could have gone with you.

Hope everything goes smoothly for your mom now. :D

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That sounds like a cruddy way to spend a week, cruddier for your mom, though.

You sound like a good son!

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I was wondering how you made out as well. Sounds like a busy time. Glad you got it all done (and I am sure your Mom is also), and made it home safely. How did your truck do? How did you make out with mileage?

BTW, I leave next Wednesday for Virginia just to drop off some stuff in storage. I will be leaving that afternoon, getting to Blacksburg Thursday night, and leaving to head back Saturday afternoon and back here Sunday night. I need a copilot, so let me know if you want to go. :D

6. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Welcome Back, Mark. Glad you made the trip safely! Perhaps if you feel up to it we can go out and get a few beers or something?

You too ktedesco, I still haven't met you yet and actually I have some questions for you about becoming a sheriff since my friend wants to be in law enforcement. :D

We need to do a C/S CK5 MeetNGreet... or maybe a Denver & C/S MnG and have it in CastleRock or Larkspur or somewhere else in between.

Just an idea, Sorry for the HiJack! :grin: