Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What about emergency cables on a 10 to 14FF swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

My 14 FF has a little plate with two bolts holding it on on the backplate. Is there a special mounting bracket or something?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you list your blazer as an 86 on your profile, I will be assuming you have the 14FF to install into this rig. You will need backing plates off an 83 or newer 3/4 ton. It can come from a truck or suburban. Those older plates use the two bolts to hold the cable in and the newer ones are just push in type. They are held in by "clamps", no bolts whatsoever. If you find plates off a SF, they will bolt right in place of the FF plates. All the shoes, hardware, etc. are the same for either.

3. jerseyk5

jerseyk5 Registered Member

If you find the 14SF backing plates, the part #'s are napa 93254 and 93898. I know this because I have the receipt sitting in front of me, just did it myself. Im not sure about the 14 FF though. Hope this helps

4. thatK30guy

You mean these items are stuff you can get from napa? We are not talking about brake drums here, you know. Just want to make sure before I give napa a call to ask them.

5. jerseyk5

jerseyk5 Registered Member

Yep, emergency brake cables!! Got them from napa!! I had to bring the old cables in with me to match up the measurements. Sat down with a guy at the store and we measured the cable for the correct measurements. The cables if I remember correctly are two inches longer than the stock cable. Its actually the end that hooks to the emergency brake actuator in the drum. We figured two inches would be right because of going from the 11 inch drums to 13 inch drums. Also measured the conduit(part coverd with the black coating) to make sure it was exactly the same. BEHOLD!!! The parts numbers!! They have a big book with all different sizes if others are doing conversions with different rears. Mine work great!!

6. thatK30guy

Glad to hear you got new cables, but thats a little off subject here. We are talking about the backing plates. The plates that hold the shoes, hardware, etc. The plates that the cables run into. On the 83 and newer rides, the passenger side cable is WAY longer than the driver side because the passenger side runs over the pinion to the driver side to hook up into one cable to the pedal. The older 82 and down, use equal length cables that hook up to a bracket just forward of the rear spring hangers. These also use a long cable to route them under the t-case over to the pedal. Seems like no one has any luck locating the backing plates. Anybody can get the e-brake cables ANYWHERE. Sorry to disappoint you.