Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What About Gas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Sep 17, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Alright- I have a question. I havent really had a truck to do any off-roading with for that long. In the time I have had a truck, I have had it tore apart... which means I wasnt do any 4 wheeling. The truck has a built 454 that gets 5 mpg... Now, I know some people on this site have big blocks - including Shawn. I have only ever been on one real trail run so I am pretty inexperienced, but it seems like sometimes you just drive forever. Now here is my question- How do you bring enough gas? Or at least estimate distance so you are prepared? I just dont get it. Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

5mpg sounds a bit low. You might want to try and tune your rig for a little better mileage. I would think that you should still be able to get around 10mpg even with a 454. How bit is your gas tank? I'd make sure that you have at least a 30 gallon tank and it never hurts to carry a 5 gallon Jerry can with you.

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

5mpg?? sheesh, I thought my 7 around town and 8mpg highway was bad. Well, I always fill up right before entering the trail. I also bring a 5 gal jerry can. You might have to bring 2 or 3 jerry cans.[​IMG]
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]