Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What about now?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Capman2k, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I was coming home from getting my K5 registered and I had one incident where it started acting up again, sputtering and jerking. This time I know it's not the filter or the pump, so what can it be now? Dad suspects it's vapor lock, but he's also the one that snapped my fuel line in half ;)

79 K5 Blazer Cheyenne.... That's all I have to say about that.

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

need more details to refresh our memory about whats been happening, and whats been done.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

About a month ago it started acting up. It was just small things like slight jerks when accelerating and stalling at stops. It stopped for a while and then last week in Colorado it completely died out on me. I changed the fuel filter, fuel line, and tested the pump.

Today I was going up a small hill and it was really jerking and sputtering, so I don't know what else it could be. Dad still thinks it's vapor lock from the fuel line touching the radiator hose..

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you might wanna check your filters again (maybe dirty or water???) also, what about a basic tune up???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

This may be a shot in the dark, but on my 78 (if I remember correctly) has something in the passenger side exhaust just past header that is a spring loaded 'valve' that is suppose to open up after the engine warms up. Could it be possible that it is rusted shut like mine was. I think if it stay shut there would be too much back pressure. Someone else (an engine expert) might want to help me out to tell you if this would cause your sputtering problem.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What about the plg wires, how old are hey and are htye arching off of something?

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Right, like jeff said, maybe you got some crap in the tank or rusted lines that keep clogging up the filter. That might explain why it ran ok after changing it, then started to degrade again (if that's what happened).

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You're thinking of the heat riser I believe, suppoesed to make the engine warm up faster. I had one on my Dodge years ago. I think you can force and prop that open, I forget what I did with it...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

9. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

You may want to check the pump again or even go ahead and replace it. I had the exact same thing happening to my '87 when I first got it, and even though we went over everything and the pump seemed fine, I finally got so fed up I replaced it anyway to see if it would help. Never had the problem again. [​IMG]

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Vacuum advance maybe?

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

11. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Check to make sure that your fuel lines aren't too close to anything that could boil the fuel. Are all your fuel lines new? Could be a crack or something letting in air. How hot is your engine running?

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

The engine is running it's normal temp (about half way on the meter thing)... The line is touching a radiator hose which gets extremely hot, but I haven't figured out a way to avoid going near it since it runs right next to the pump..

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I used to suffer from vapor lock. It happened when the engine has reached it's maximum temperature, then you shut it down for a while (like 10-15 minutes) and then start again.

Replaced the old stock pump with a Holley high volume. Problem solved.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]