Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What about "Oiling"??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What about \"Oiling\"??

Since the 84 went in the body shop, I've been trying to figure out the best way to treat the undercarriage. There is some light surface rust forming on the underneath of the floorboards in different spots, and on the frame, too. I was looking at Por-15, but a friend had a suggestion that I'd never heard of.

He claimed lots of people use used oil and spray it in a nice, thin even coat over all the already rusty surfaces as well as those that are prone to rust. Apparently it stops rust dead and only has to be redone every few years. It made sense to me, as I've seen lots of old oil drippers with less rust underneath than mine. so I phoned the body shop and asked about it, and my bodyman says "yeah, we do it on lots of vehicles.......works good!!!"

So my question is: Has anybody ever heard of this procedure? Or even had it done? And, if so, how did it work?
    BTW, he said he'd only charge me $100 since he was already getting my business. Good deal or not?

2. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Re: What about \"Oiling\"??

I just had mine painted less than a week ago. They guy suggested this to me as well. He said that it will keep them in really good shape. He also said to take the door panels off and dump oil into the bottoms of the doors to keep them from rusting. I'm definitely going to do this to my rig before winter hits.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

3. Can Can

Did he give you any idea as to price? And what about how long it lasts? I heard it had to be redone every few years.

4. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I sandblasted the underneath, coated it with a zinc liquid from Eastwood, then spray corolis paint from Eastwood, and finally gloss black paint. Its been two years, still looks new and NO rust.
    Check out this site
    http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/

5. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry, forgot the original question.
    I've know a few guys in PA that spraye oil underneath every fall. There trucks lasted much longer than friends that didn't do it. So it does work.

6. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

OH YEAH!! I live in North West Pennsylvania, and they put loads of salt on the road. So to fix this and STOP rust we (I) have our vehicles "oiled". It costs me $35.00 each year to have it done, this includes the the door panels. The trick is to get "NEW" oil not used and right after getting it done drive down a dirt road (or trail) to get it to stick. It's the only thing that STOPS rust and I get it every year in the Fall. Also don't park it in your driveway after getting it done. Park in the street for a few days. Hope this helped.

7. Can Can

I asked him about the used vs. new thing, and he said that the carbon in the used oil helped it stick to the steel better.............One more question PattBlue- If you do it right, is it still pretty tidy underneath? Or is it a total greasy mess?

8. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

After a few weeks you can still work on it...not to bad. When you add the dirt road it looks like it has wrinkles on it..not ugly or anything. If that makes any sense. You just might need a putty knife to scrap some "undercoating" off.