Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What about the 67-68 Chevy trucks?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Thrashed68, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Thrashed68

Thrashed68 Registered Member

The aftermarket for some reason has left are trucks out as far as lift parts etc. I used 69 up lift springs and your shackles on the front of my 68 even though the were sold for 69 up..... So my question boils down to, what is the difference that we should be looking for in these trucks that the parts will not fit? In paticular I was thinking of doing a shackle flip in the back with your brackets and axle relocation blocks. What would I have to modify to make it work? Thanks! and sorry for jumpin around so much.

Skin grows back, Parts cost money!

2. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

well ive done lots of research on 67-68 4x4s and how to lift them...... the hardd part is the REAR all the front springs and stuff is the same..... but the rear has 56" rear springs instead of 52" like on 69-72..... and the 56" rear springs from a 73-87 the centering pin isnt in the VERY center... but on 67-68s it IS
    so i plan on 6" front springs and 4" shackle flip in rear with 1" zero rate add a leaf.....
    email me at impalass@cruzers.com if you want to talk.....
    also id aprecite info on what you think of my idea for lifting stephen

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, edelbrock performer intake+carb, MSD pro billet http://communities.msn.com/68K10

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It sounds like this 68swb guy knows more about these early trucks than I do. With a different spring in them, the flip kit is probably the way to go. The only other way would be a custom spring. I assume the flip bolt pattern will work, but I know a lot of stuff changed on the early GM 4wd's so we should probably not take that for granted.
    I think they had 5 different variations of the D44 front, so that could tell you what we have to deal with!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

4. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

the orignal axle is the closed knuckle dana 44 with drum brakes... (not very good) but a later model dana 44 will bolt right in just need to get a 71-72 master cylinder and proption valve (for disk brakes)
    theres no reason the shackle flip shouldnt work on a 68 sense the part that connects to ths shackle is 2 1/2" wide....
    i need to fix some other stuff (and swap in my 3/4 axles) before i do the shackle flip.... and other stuff

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, edelbrock performer intake+carb, MSD pro billet http://communities.msn.com/68K10

5. K20Chevrolet

K20Chevrolet 1/2 ton status

Very interesting. I´m in the same boat now. 68 K20 Suburban and wanted to lift it 3" to fit some 255/85R16 tires.

So if I understood correctly, the friont springs are the same as the 69-72, but the rears are different from length and center pin location. so the 56" rears for the 67-68 have a centered pin, not offset like the newer 73-87 56" springs?

I also heard that the width of the hangers/spring mounts is different on the 67-68... is that true or are these exactly the same as the 69-72?

As to the D44, is it true, that one can swap spindles and hubs from a 73-78 D44HD onto the closed knukle D44HD to get the discs? straight bolt on? Same in the rear, 14 bolt brakes on the HO52?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

6. xenomarine

xenomarine 1/2 ton status

I remember reading that there's I think a dodge 57"spring with a centered pin. Might be worth some research, a hair longer but it'll be much closer to centered if I'm not mistaken.