Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What about this idea for BB06 (your input)

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by CK5, Jun 1, 2006.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, was thinking today a bit about BB06, every year it gets harder to get products donated from Vendors etc. and the amount of product declines every year etc.. also the amount of people that register stays about the same, hasn't grown since 02, in fact has declined a bit.

To make a long story short, Blazer Bash has always been about meeting other Members and wheeling our junk on the slick rock.

Ideas on post #40 of this thread.
    Thoughts?

This way people could show up or cancel with no pressure, just show up if you want to have a good time.
    Also, last year I heard a few comments about there not being enough items at the raffle which I agreeded with, this way no registration fee and no expectations.
    Come on down for a good time if you can make it, if not, maybe next year.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Sounds good to me. People are coming for the wheeling/meet and greet anyway. The raffles and stuff are a bonus, but I really doubt anyone made the trip based on that alone.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Sounds good. I think we are in a major transition period nation wise and it's starting to trickle down to us little folk. If I was in the position that I'm in now 5 years ago, going every year would not have been a problem. With gas prices going the way they are going, a person has to sit down and really think this stuff through before committing to anything. On the business side, I'm seeing prices skyrocket (because of gas I guess:D) and I can see why vendors would be a little more tight with the freebies these days. On top of the event having a history now, they probably don't think any new business will be coming in from the same event.

Just meeting new folks and doing a little wheeling in one of the meccas of this sport should be the focus. It's about the brotherhood in the end:D

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds fine to me, I go for the slickrock wheelin...simply amazing :bow:
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAMOAB!!!

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    either way I will be there!!! I don't mind paying for registration and the chance to win something is always cool.

The vendors that want to give away something could set up a sign up jar at the BBQ and display items and maybe give away at the end or even say meet at city market or somewhere and give away prior to sunday run.

Doesn't matter to me either way. Just let me know what to bring or not to bring that is the question.

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The permit thing is a sticky deal.
    Technically we don't need a permit because we meet in town and are a "group of buddies" going out to wheel together.

That is why the meet and greet at the park is a good idea it gives us a great out from having a permit. Blazer bash is a meet and greet with a bbq and raffle on Friday night. The people that attend just so happen to go out and hit the trails.
    Nobody pays for a trail run they pay for the food and a raffle ticket.

I think that the food and bbq are an important part of getting everybody in one spot at one time. I would still do it by I also know that it is a huge pain in the butt.

7. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I have comment about this.

I agree with Steve on this one. I have doing the Bash now for quite some time, including the AZ guys. I agree with the whole bring your food and cook it thing. The pressure to provide food for everyone is a huge pain in the ass, the time the type of food, the amount of food, the amount of money being paid for the type of food, etc......

The unfortunate ones that have to cook, don't get to wheel and hang out, the ones that pay expect to eat. In my opinion it's not worth the headache.

It's just as easy to swing by Wendy's on the way over and grab a burger than it is to wait for someone to cook the food. I'm not saying major appreciation is not given to everyone that cooks, but it's been Stephen and his family just about everytime I can remember???:bow:

Just have a formal hangout time, and bring your own food, and everyone can eat when they are ready, hell some may eat before and some may eat after.

If vendors want to give away stuff so be it... No pressure no worries....

I know one of the reasons I come to Moab is to wheel and hang out with others after the wheeling. One of the major reasons I love Moab is the weather, as far as I am concerned the colder the better for us AZ guys. Besides, I cook a mean steak on the back of the camper!:haha:

Drop the pressure of the food and the get together and have more time to hang out with others. Hell last year we got very little trailer time with the other crews.

I only have one suggestion, take it as its posted. I love to wheel in Moab, it's one of the may places we wheel every year, but notice the word I posed "Wheel in Moab". The groups are getting bigger and the trails are the same size. It's really tough to have a HUGE group on the same small trail every year. It's really hard to stay patient when there is a huge group on a trail and it's a two locker trail and there are 20 rigs on the trail and 6 rigs are open in the front. I'm not knocking the unlocked rigs, or lesser built rigs, hell I'm one of thoes guys in some peoples eyes, but, it sure makes for a very very long day.

I love to wheel, and it does not matter to me if the trail is Upper Proving grounds or Potato Salad Hill, or Moab Rim, keep the groups sizes down, and the rigs in check and it makes for a much funner day and back to camp hang out around the fire time.:waytogo: :waytogo:

Just my opinon, and anyone that take defense in this statement I appoligize in advance, but for someone that has been to all but one of these BB, I have earned the right to post this.:wink1:

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

In planning a trip from Dallas, Tx. Required fees are the least of my problems. A meal is nice, but I can always find food elsewhere. I think some entry fee is required, that way you won't get all of the fence sitters commiting and then not showing up. Use the fees to buy everyone dinner in town.

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I pretty much agree with everything Michael said.

I like the BBQ like it was done because I think it encourages interaction more. If you are eating and cooking on your own I think it will end up being groups of people that already know each other and not much mingling. Maybe I say that because I'm not a social guy, but I think that's what would happen.

I also liked the Friday run on Hell's Revenge because I, in a less built vehicle, got to see the big dawgs running the trails.

My thought is, Steve don't try to do this all your own. Maybe set up a Blazer Bash Volunteer Commitee. Post a list of all the things that need done and ask for members to volunteer to help out.

I know this must be a huge stress and pain in the ass for Steve, and I for one wouldn't mind helping out in whatever way that I can.

I've been a member of a hot rod club that put together a poker run and show and shine for Father's Day every year for the last 20+ years. It takes the whole club to pull that off.

As for the door prizes, do what you can. I thought it was great last year. For the number of people there, the odds of winning something really great were very good.

I do wish there would have been a better way to organize the trail runs, but I can see where that would lead to the permit issues that Brandon was talking about. Maybe that volunteer list could include trail bosses for the different level of trails to be run.

I think some of the attendance problem could be concern that you have to have a badass truck to run Moab. That's just isn't true. I was hoping the Sheet Metal Gang thing would help other CK5ers to recognize that. It's just that the big dawgs get all the press because they are exciting - understandably so.

Steve I know last year was my first Bash, but I really enjoyed it. I think you did a fine job organizing it. Also thanks to the others that I know must have been helping "behind the scenes", Dirkster & Stephen. Please don't let it slowly fade away.

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll say I agree with most of what has been said. I like having the meet and greet but as far as catering I wouldn't mind if it didn't happen. I'm perfectly happy grabbing McDonalds and bringing it with me... As far as a raffle, don't care on that either. I only buy a couple tickets because frankly, most of the stuff thats raffled I can't use so I don't want to buy a lot of tickets to take chances away from others, hell, the only thing I ever want to win is a damn ORD or CK5 hat or sweatshirt...

I am a BIG FAN of the Friday hells revenge run because I like to see everyone on the trail. It's an easy enough trail that no one really gets stuck for long or holds anyone up so it goes pretty smoothly and leaves time for some to play on some of the harder spots. My moab experience just involves seeing everyone again and being in moab, I don't really care which trails I run as long as I'm having a good time.

I come to moab to relax and take in the scenery, not to run the hardest trail I can find in the least amount of time, if theres a backup on the trail then I wait, doesn't really bother me... There were a few spots on pritchett where some open front guys slowed everyone down but it wasn't long and it was good entertainment. Heck even I broke a bolt and stopped everyone for a while so who knows whats going to happen.

As far as designated trails for each day I like the HR, Pritchet on Friday and Saturday but it would be cool to have something scheduled for Sunday as well. Last year just a few of us went out to Coyote, no idea where everyone else went... If we could find another trail about the same difficulty as Pritchett that we could run on Sunday so most everyone would go that would be cool.

Anyway, whatever happens, I'll be there and I'll be having fun :D

11. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I have never been to Moab, but i am trying to find a way. The things that Jason has said i agree with. a big part of wheeling for me is having fun, meeting others, the scenery, and relaxing. It doesnt matter if its the hardest thing thats out there or the easy trail.

12. mrk5

It'll be interesting to see if the attendance this year is any different because of the article in Offroad.

I think I could see the catered BBQ being dropped if there was still a scheduled "show & shine" - I know that's really not the right term for us, but you know what I mean. We're all interested in seeing the trucks and meeting the members. Maybe that would be the best opportunity to do that.

It's too bad it didn't work out so well this last year because those of us that ran Hell's Revenge were so late getting back.

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We were? I don't remember being late to the bbq last year... Actually I remember going to camp and taking a shower before going and still not being late...

14. mrk5

Hmm, maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Maybe it was my fault I was late getting there. I can't remember if we'd checked into the hotel yet. Maybe that was why we were late. I just remember not having a chance to really check out the other rigs because it was getting dark.

15. CK5

This is one of the things I don't like about having the BBQ so late, by the time everyone shows up, the sun is setting, if we have it early then everyone is on the trail or traveling. :crazy:

How about a friday early BBQ around 10 AM, then after who ever could hit a late trail? This should go over well. :doah:

16. CK5

It will not make a differance at all, we have been in the mags before and it never changes attendance the next year.

I have actualy gone to "car shows" just to look at the hot rods not because I wanted a meal or take part in a raffle etc.. Other than wheeling I thought this was a big reason to get together.:D

17. CK5

Well said.

18. CK5

Thanks for writing how I feel Michael.

19. CK5

Maybe we can have a "introduce yourself" time, I dunno. :doah:
    What happens every year is that as soon as the raffle is over, everyone splits like they really didn't want to be there, just showed up for the raffle. :crazy:

Maybe have everyone sign up to bring a certain food for the group, I worked for companies that did this all the time for a company BBQ, then have some kind of fun events to get people to mingle?

20. CK5

I have had people cancel and others show up without registering so not sure how much you can count on that, but been doing this for the last 5 years in a row so have a good handle on turn out.