Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what all do i need for a cam install?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Oct 30, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I will be ordering a Comp Cam's Xtreme 4x4 cam in a few weeks and want to know what i need to install it. I dont know for sure which one i want, (i dont know what all the numbers mean) I know i want great response and torque off the line, i dont really care about mid- high range hp. Which set up is the best for me? I hear that i need new springs and roller rockers (for best performance) Which valve springs and which rocker arms shouldi purchase? Also what will be the best timing gear set for my set up? Is there anything else i should look into? Im going to get a gasket set too. Also Im planning on replacing my water pump with an Edelbrock one, is it worth the money to convert it to a 12v motorized one? Thanks alot guys! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I have the 262 (2nd biggest one) cam and I love it. You may want to get one of the smaller ones though for lower end torque. Be sure to get their lifters or they won't honor the warranty if something breaks. I also run a Pete Jackson noisy gear drive. It can get annoying sometimes, so I would recommend the quiet one if that's what you want. As far as the valve springs I wouldnt worry about it unless they're worn out or you just want new ones. I'm still running the stock '79 springs in mine and have taken it up to 6 grand a few times with no problems so far. I dont know that roller rockers will help all that much in the lower rpm range, but they will definitely have less wear on the valve train.

I wouldnt even bother with the electric water pump. It would probably be more work than it's worth, plus most of the companies dont recommend them for street use.

I think Comp Cams has a complete kit if you decide to replace everything. It might save you some money if you go that route.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> When you get the cam just get the K-kit, that comes with matched valve springs, new valve seals, valve locks, and valve spring retainers. Also has assembly lube, new lifters and a double roller timing chain. Now you just need to worry about the roller rockers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif As far as which cam to get, I have the 254, the second cam up from the least aggressive, and I love it. A VERY slight lope to the idle so it sounds nice, real good power off idle, flattens out at about 4500 RPM. Still passes CA smog too. </font color>

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Here is an article I wrote on cam changing. Hope it helps.

Cam change

5. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

For the cam change you're gonna need new lifters, cam lube, new springs. You can use the stock rockers, but it's advisable to use stock ratio roller rockers, you can also change the pushrods and the guides if you want to overhaul your valve train, plus other valvetrain accessories (steel retainers, valve locks, valve stem seats, etc..., but its not really necessary unless you're working the cylinder head. Also I think you will have to change the stock plastic timing chain, in favor of a metal one. Roller lifters and roller cam will give you more power, but its expensive and you can live without them. For the cam specs don't go over 210/218 0.447/0.462 if you want off-idle power, the Comp 4x4 206/214-0.432/0.453 would be a good choice in my opinion.
    BTW, just forget about electrical water pump, they are not suitable for our K5s.