Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What all does the ECM control - '90 K5 w/ 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, Apr 28, 2004.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

What all does the ECM control - \'90 K5 w/ 6.2

My '90 K5 (6.2/700r4) is basically becoming a trailer queen off-road only rig, and therefore I'm trying to "simplify" it as much as possible. My current project is installing a "J" code intake and ditching the EGR setup. However the ECM will throw an EGR code if I simply unhook it. After looking through the limited information I could find, it looks like the vast majority of what the ECM does is just monitor the emissions equipment.

Sooo....if I get rid of all of the emissions stuff, can I also ditch the ECM? What else does the ECM control......TC lockup maybe?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: What all does the ECM control - \'90 K5 w/ 6.2

[ QUOTE ]
    Sooo....if I get rid of all of the emissions stuff, can I also ditch the ECM? What else does the ECM control......TC lockup maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

The lockup in a 700R4 does not require your ECM but may still be tied into it. You can get kits to control the lockup from aftermarket company's and remove the ECM with all the emissions stuff and you should be good to go.