Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what all is involved in performing your own alignment?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 18, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have no clue how to do it, and i'm debating if i should just go have it done. seems like it would be pretty easy on a straight axel truck - not as many moving parts. anyone want to give me a run down on how to do this to my d44?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Jack up the front end. Put a piece of masking tape vertically on the middle of the tread on each tire (you will use these ase reference points). Turn each tire so that the tape is lined up horizontally with the hub. Measure the distance between the two pieces of tape. Turn both tires 180* and take another measurement. Compare the two. Adjust the tie rod ends until the front measurement is 1/16" to 1/8" smaller than the back measurement (toed in).

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've done the same thing just measuring off identical lugs similar lugs off the same areas of each tire. - the above method is probably better though...

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yep. Only think you can adjust on our trucks is the toe. Which is the procedure 38377k5 outlined.
    If your castor or camber are out, something is bent. You can make minor adjusments to camber with a special insert between the knuckle and spindle, but you need an alignment machine to see where castor camber is anyway.

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

cool. doesn't seem worth it to pay for an alignment then if its that simple!