Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What altenator???????????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jays Beast, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Alternator is acting wierd so before its dead want to replace it with a higher amp one. Considering installing a 140 amp CS144 alternator, or would it be better to rebuild my current one(cs130) with this kit http://www.alternatorparts.com/7130_7140%20.htm
    Also what would need to be done to my current system to run the higher amperage(battery cables,etc....) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks Jay

2. Jays Beast

3. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

why do you think the alternator is going bad. I have and 89 also, 5.7. same as yours. I have gone through about 1 alternator every 18 months. They are junk, even upgraded ones. They still have the same bearings, that is usually what goes bad. I live in Glendale AZ, just down the road a piece, heat is a killer. I off road on a regular basis, I would think the heat and the dust don't help.
    I have 100 watt hella high beams and driving lights and never have a problem.Even at low speeds. I go to Crown King and come back at night, the alt is working hard, but still puts out enough.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is there any local guys that rebuild starters and altenator ?? Give one of them a call and see if they can build a high output unit for you. Also ask what kind of warenty they offer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Jays Beast

When running with NO A/C, around town or on highway the voltage is at 13+, with A/C ON voltage drops down to about 10.5 or so. Also have a big lose in power with a/c running I believe do the drop in voltage fuel pump, iginition, injectors are all affected by voltage drops. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifIf anyone knows of anything I missing that could cause lose of power and voltage drop when running the a/c, please let me now. Thanks Jay

6. Jays Beast

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif TTT /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I dont know if they are better, but you could try a Powermaster altenator, thats what I am putting in...when I get around to it.

Also, loss in power could just be the extra effort to run the A/C. Altenators in my experience work, or don't work anymore, usually not much in between. And I never trust a voltmeter guage to show me whats going on, try a voltmeter on the battery with the engine off, running, and with A/C on to see whats going on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif