Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What am I getting into, replacing pinion bearings 12b

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Oct 1, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I did a search, but never found a full description. So I'm wondering what is involved with pinion bearing replacement on a 12bolt. My Chiltons only covers the seal. I've never even pulled the cover on an axle before, so this is completely new territory.

What all is going to have to be removed? What else should be replaced while I'm in there? Any special tools?

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Search online on how to rebuild your axle. There are a few sites around I have seen regarding this.

Here is a good one Idiot Proof Rebuild Guide

It's really not that hard if you take your time and have an indicator.

-Chris

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're going to need to press one bearing off the pinion.

When I worked at carquest we offered this service. We'd put it back on with the same shims so you could put it right back in the axle.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The hardest part will be removing the pinion nut and yoke . Sometimes you can immobilize it with a wrench or something and zip it off with an impact and socket . I have seen one so stubborn that we used a breaker bar against the body and drove the truck a few feet to break it loose ( SAFETY FIRST < STAND BACK , TRY TOOLS FIRST ) .

After the nuts loose , pull cover , remove pinion/crosshaft bolt , then pinion/crosshaft , push axles in , remove c-clips and pull axles , I like to put the shaft back in to hold the spiders in place temporarily , then you can remove the carrier , then the pinion . I have never actually put one back in and check the gear pattern , but I have torn down many GM c-clip axles ( 10-12 car and truck ) , and I pull my locker out periodically to inspect it on my 12 bolt ( still running it even though the pops still get to me , traction is addictive ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe it won't be as bad as I was afraid it would be.

Sounds I need to hunker down and just do it, and quit fretting over it.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Rebaring is no biggie. Youll need a 1/2" impact, press as stated above. Change the races too. Just make sure you crush the crush sleeve. And dont mix up the carrier shims. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif