Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What am I getting into?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffcc1, Jan 6, 2006.

1. buffcc1

buffcc1 Registered Member

What am I getting into if I try to regear my front 10 bolt? Price and how hard is it to do myself?

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its not hard if you have the tools and have done it before. If you havent done it yourself I would find someone who has and get some assistance. If not you may end up doing it twice in short order. The price with the install kit 300+/- depending on brand. Tools that I can think of tq wrench, dial indicator, jack, jack stands, bearing press (machine shop) other stuff I am sure that I am forgetting. IMHO I wouldnt do it without some "close at hand assistance" whether it be a good mech book or a buddy that has done it.

You can use the search function at the top of the page, that is usually very helpful.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

My first ( and only so far ) went pretty well. I bought a dial indicator, I went with Reider Racing gears and install kit 'cause I had a car mag article that showed a pretty detailed install and said the Reider shim packs were easier to work with then some. I REALLY studied the instructions and article had the press work done at a tranny shop. Took me about 8 hr.s including the time to go to get the press work done and that K - 10 was still going strong when I sold it 5 years later. For your first time and if you go solo I think it depends on your general mechanical apptitude, ability to read and follow instructions and attention to detail. You will probably be flat out amazed at how much torque it takes to crush that sleeve. You might even want to stay at a Holiday inn express the night before. Go for it. I was also outside on plywood.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

What????

-- A

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

You can do just about anything if you stay at a Holiday Inn express the night before. :D
    I'm going to attempt to change gears myself. I'm planning on having my dad help me. Apparently, to graduate army mechanic school in the '40's, he had to assemble a j#$p tranny in the dark. So I think he's got the skills. I don't think I'd attempt this alone.

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Thank's Burb. I know I'm off the wall but those commercials are pretty well known.