Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What am i getting myself into?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 1, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I need help swapping from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric pump. I dont know whats involved or how i even go about starting this project. Can i get a little help?? Also is there an electric pump that an auto parts store would carry for another vehicle that will work? What do i ask for? Thanks again

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well, you need a block off plate for the block where the mech. pump bolts. You need a return line, which may require a new tank sender if your mech. pump didn't already have a return line setup, you need a new elec. circuit to run the pump, usally 12ga wire required because of the lenght of the run, (elec. pumps usally try to be located as near the tank as possible for optimal efficiency).

So, what's the reason for this swap?

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Stay with your mechanical less heart aches.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't mount it near the exhaust............mine used to vapor lock when trail riding slowly!

5. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

X2. I wish I could go back to mechanical without swapping out the cam. Mechanical= more reliable.

6. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Im trying to put an early 90's 350 in my blazer (it was cheap). It came with TBI and ive been told that the mechanical pump wont work in early 90's late 80's engines. Im swapping the manifold so i can a carb. But i was told i cant run a mechanical pump. Is this wrong?

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The block should have the mount holes and embossment for a mech. pump, but the camshaft might not have the lobe to run the pump. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't with the factory elec. pumps.
    Mabey somebody else has a difinitive answer.