Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what am i gonna pay for a new 700r4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Jul 7, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

like a GM reman unit. looks like im gonna need one. i dont remember what the GM reman. th400 in my sub cost. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

most commom price I have seen is $1200 and thats not a GM price..so go higher

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the GM units, but Bowtie Overdrive sells em starting at under $900.

Jon

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They are resonanly priced. Around 1500 I believe with a 36 month/50,000 mile warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

If my feeble memory servers, it was about $1350 for the GM 3/50 tranny; local shop added some labor/flush cooler/etc (all the fine print of the warr), and came to 1700-ish installed.
    That was in 98, and about 75-80,000 miles ago. No problems since, but also added a super-size cooler (about 2 years ago), and try and service/flush it annually.

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I gave just under $1400 plus shipping for my BTO Stage III tranny. I also bought a new B&M 28,000 GVW cooler that was about $50, B&M tranny temp gauge which was about $30, steel braided tranny lines which were about $150 and a Moroso in-line cooler/filter which was about $75. Plus the cost of a new torque converter (~$150), flywheel (I got a brand new one for $25 from a buddy who is now building a ford so I don't have a good estimated cost). I included all the hidden costs that blow a budget, but are necessary to protect a big investment like a tranny. Damn, I never broke it all out like that. That's a lot of money. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hope this helps.

Lance

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

damn. i guess i'll start lookin around. i definetly want a warranty of some kind.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

So you checked your TV cable and it was ok? Check local tranny shops...you can find decent deals. Mine was $450 installed and rebuilt with a 1 year warranty. Been almost 2 years with no problems.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

And how are you liking that BT OD trans????

10. Krase

Krase Registered Member

i just had my 700r4 rebuilt with shift kit, corvette servos, and updated 10 or 13 vane pump (can remember which one i opted for) for $650. Shifts hard cause of servos, but should last for a while

11. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I like it alot!!! Shifts are EXTREMELY firm!! I can definitely tell a difference from the worn out tranny I had before. I can almost chirp the tires going into second gear w/ a 145,000 mile 350. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now I have to change out the 4.10's to some 4.88's or 5.13's so I can enjoy the OD. I'll have to do a long term test and give an update then, but as for now it is solid.

Lance

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Couple more questions on the Bowtie OD stage 3. How much was shipping, and the main thing is what was required to activate the warranty? Also what is the warranty policy, yr? miles? Thanks

Harley

13. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Try talking to Shagnaz too. He put a stage 3 in his Blazer a few months back and loves it. He has given me lots of good input.

Jon

14. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

When I ordered mine they had a deal on shipping, $100 bucks off. Can't remember off the top of my head but I want to say it was somewhere around $200 before the discount.

As for the warranty, not a huge deal. Just lots of back and forths. Have to give pressure readings in each of the gears with the truck in idle and the TV cable connected, then do the same with the TV cable DIS-connected. The most difficult part (which really isn't that difficult) is you have to disconnect the TV cable and have someone sit inside and rev the engine to approx. 1500rpm's in each of the gears. While they are doing that, you have to pull the TV cable plunger until it bottoms out and take a pressure reading.

After you get the TV cable pressures worked out and they confirm them, then you can take it on a test drive. But you have to do it like they describe and make notes of rpms/speeds at certain gear changes and at certain speeds. Too much to go into here, but I think you can get the idea.

Warranty is for 1-yr. No mileage limitation and the warranty isn't activated until you both agree the tranny is functioning properly.

I also suggest talking to Mike (shagnaz) he helped me out a lot when I was trying to decide which tranny to go with and on who to buy it from. I picked mine after a comparison of a similar TCI unit. The units were almost identical. BTO edged them out on a few items. When it cam time to decide, I picked BTO because of other people from here had good experiences with there units and when I talked to them (a bunch) they had time to answer questions and had a seemingly unlimited knowledge of the 700r.

Lance