Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What am I looking for? (odd application)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CasterTroy, May 22, 2006.

1. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Registered Member

Tried to search, but not finding what I'm needing....TBI seems to dominate all the discussions I find.....i'm attempting to find how to identify what intake and carb I'll need to get for my suburban but I'm coming to many intersections that I can't seem to cross

1983 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton
    350/700R4

I have dual pipes (factory, but no cat's)

I have a smog pump

Not sure if I have EGR

What application am I looking for when I go for a Carb upgrade and intake? I.E. in the charts that apply to me, the carbs all have EGR and smog stuff.....but do I need to be there, or the pre-81 stuff even though mines an 83. From what I'm understanding I can't just drop a aftermarket carb on my stock manifold.

I'd also like to put on headers and ditch the smog pump (NC doesn't smog test cars older than 95, I just get safety) will this effect what HEADERS I order?
    Love to either turn the smog pump into a compressor, or maybe ass an old ac compressor in that location for on board air....but thats another topic.

All the applications are Pre-87 or Pre-81 (most of these are missing the smog stuff) Since mine is a 3/4 ton and didn't come with the full blown eco-friendly stuff I'm kind of in a bastard zone. :doah: Any help?

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay I kind of understand the question. Heres the thing smog checks are only going to get worse. If you get CARB exempt stuff for your motor you are good. Remember this I know a guy who is in the same "bastard" zone as you. He had to change a bunch of stuff on his trucks because all the smog places failed him on his lack of cats. His dad bought the truck new so he knows it didn't come with the cats. Anyway he had to spend some money to get it right to pass smog. So the only things I would buy would be things that are CARB certified. Plenty of preformance stuff out there

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

most of the application charts out there for smog equipment are based off general requirements for passenger cars of that year, not nessecarily light trucks. LOTS of lights trucks came without cats for years and years after all cars were required to have them.

4. CasterTroy

Well, thats why I want an intake, carb, and headers....so I can remove the stock stuff, put it up on a shelf and KEEP it JUST IN CASE some Nazi from Kali ends up in office here in NC and changes all the laws.

Right now, anything older than 95 is exempt from smog and emmissions testing. They just have a visual to ensure that there are cats. And while it takes an explination, once understood my suburban passes visual with no problem.

It helps that I have 2 shops that I can hand my registration to in the morning on the way to work, and by the afternoon I get it back with a sticker without them ever seeing the vehicle too :D

My biggest issue is knowing what to buy. Knowing I'm just saving all the stock stuff, Im assuming I can just get an edelbrock performer manifold, and a 4106 with a set of headers and be good to go. Is this correct thinking?

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yes you can just bolt on a non EGR performer manifold, 4106 carb, and a set of non smog headers and be good to go if you dont have to worry about smog.
    The 4106 carb isn't a very good off road carb. They like to flood out on hills and bumps. They make an off road needle and seat kit for them that makes them a little better. But. The stock Q-Jet is much a better off road carb. Properly tuned, a Q-jet will run just as good or better that a 4106 and get better gas milage. You can buy a Edelbrock performer spread bore manifold the Q-jet will bolt on to.

Just put the smog pump on the shelf with the rest of the stuff. It is useless as a compressor.

6. CasterTroy

The only off-road this rig will see is the outer banks on the sand. This is a fish-wagon as well as my tow rig for my jeep.

I'm pretty certain my carb is in desperate need of rebuilding. I think the secondarys are stuck because it doesn't ever feel like they kick in.

I was just resolved to get a manifold and a new 4106 :dunno:

Knowing all this, would it be better to have my carb re-built?

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are just going to run up and down the beach and tow. The 4106 will be fine. The only time they really flood out is climbing steep hills and off camber side hills.
    They run great on 350s with a performer manifold and headers. If you want to. You can get the off road spring loaded neddle valve and seat which really helps them a lot. It is a cheap improvement and is easy to install. But not really needed if you stay off the steep dunes.