Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What am I losing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Sep 8, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay, so now that I'm almost done with the axle swap, here's my questions....
    Going from the 12 bolt to the 14, gears went from 4.11's to 3.73's what can I expect to notice? I understand I probably will notice a lack in the take off, how bad? I think my gas mileage will be better? will the truck ride much different? I don't have much choice now, since the swap's almost done, but am I going to be searching for another rearend, like the one I "use" to have? I don't tow or haul anything, it's basically just a "sunday " driver, what are your thoughts? thanks!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear,(sitting next to truck) 12 bolt (still in truck) dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305----

2. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

I have 350/350, 3.73's, and 35's and I love it. That is what low range is for.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

IF you kept the tires size the same, yes, you will notice a bit of off the line power, but that also depends on your motor. If you have a strong motor, it won't be as noticeable.

You will be able to cruise highways at a lower rpm, in effect raising you gas mileage on the highway.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Its only a 10% loss in gearing...you might not notice at all.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>