Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What am I missing here?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_blasto, Jan 26, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I am in the proccess of doing ORD's 1 inch body lift and replacing the bushings at the same time. I cannot figure out how to get the bolt from the body mount located in the passenger's footwell out. In trying to remove the nut from the underside I broke the tack weld loose. I had someone just put a wrench on the bolt and I got the nut off. The bolt will wiggle a bit in that whole without much effort, especially if I jiggle it from the underside. It spins pretty freely too. I have tried to pound it out from the underside with a small-ish sledge hammer, but it feels as if I were just banging away on solid metal, the thing doesn't budge at all! I gotta believe that I am missing some really crucial part of this, but I just can't figure it out. PLEASE HELP!!!

I am getting married in a month and a half at which point I will be moving to... Utah :eek: :yikes: :doah: for a while. I need to get my project done cause it is sitting in my parents back yard here in CA and they can't stand it. I am sure I will be running into a lot of problems so please keep your eyes out for my posts. Any and all help is much appreciated :bow: . Thanks!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds like rust, you probly have a bugger on the bolt that is keeping it from going up thru the floor. It's a basic carrage bolt so if you got the nut off and body mount removed then sounds like the bolt has a rusted 'cling on'.

Can you cut the head off and hammer downwards? If not get a bigger hammer and pound it up. Maybe squirt that rust remover or liquid wrench on the bolt?

When I did mine I had the same issue and my 4lb sledge worked them out just fine, well after I cut off the rusted on nut:D
    Good Luck and congrats on the marriage:cool1:
    Burt

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem. I believe I used my air hammer with a cutting chisel type blade to get into the metal sleeve that you will replace anyway. This is the sleeve that is inside of the rubber bushing.

I tried to beat that bolt out with no success. Then I tried to drill it out and gave up, air hammer had it off in literally seconds.

Good luck. Rusted in bolts can suck!

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help, I guess I will spray it a little more and go bang away.

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Angle grinder to take the head of bolt off and pound down. Air chisel? The torch is your friend. :weld: :grind: :hack: :angry1:

6. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I can't grind the head on this particualr one because the top of the head is flush or maybe even slightly lower than the floor itself (the sheetmetal is depressed right there probably to prevent an unsightly bump in the carpet). I would grind it off in a heart beat like I did most the other ones, but i don't have the means to. I am a little hesitant to use heat after bathing that thing in PB Blaster, a fire is the last thing I need. I don't have an air compressor, so obviously I lack the air tools (chisel) to compliment such a setup. I am going to go work on it right now, just me and the sledge.

Let me know if anyone comes up with any more ideas. Thanks!

7. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Thanks for everyone's help :bow: ! I finally got that thing out by heating it (though not very much cause my bushings starting sizzling and smoking and I was afraid I might start a fire), and just beating the tar out of it with a hammer. I am sure I will run into some more problems over the next couple weeks as I prepare to make this thing driveable again. I am getting pretty desperate to get this thing done, so if you see a post please reply with your expertise. THANKS AGAIN!

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool, just post up if you have more ???
    Been tinkerin with my 72 sence 93:D
    Good Luck
    Burt