Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what an EVEN WORSE way to start the day!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BIG*RED, May 4, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

just woke up and read the news paper, and just read that a good friend of mine was killed yesterday morning while working. his name is richard riley, we all called him RED..he was one of the nicest,funniest, easy going guys that i have known, we used to work together, we wrench together, and wheel together, in fact the last time i wheeled i was riding with him. he worked at les schwab tires, and wewnt on a service call yesterday moring. was on hiway 80 reparing the tire on a semi, when the tire blew up and struck him in the head, killing him instantly. he left behind a wife and young son. he was only 24 years old...makes me realize that my crap that i'm going through isn't that important....:(
    MISS YOU RED!!!!! SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!

A Grass Valley tire technician died this week when a big-rig tire exploded while he was installing it along Interstate 80.

Les Schwab Tire Center employee Richard Riley, 24, had been called out Monday morning to replace the tire on a truck that had a flat on Interstate 80, near Gold Run. Riley was killed on impact, according to the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

The accident occurred at about 10:45 a.m. Monday, according to the California Highway Patrol.

After an Oklahoma-based semi truck got a flat tire as it was traveling west on Interstate 80, the driver called Les Schwab, and Riley was dispatched to repair the flat, according to the state OSHA office.

Managers at Les Schwab declined to discuss the accident.

While he was putting on a new tire and rim, the tire exploded and struck Riley in the head, said Renee Bacchini, a spokeswoman for Cal-OSHA.

"These people who work with tires are trained for the proper precautions," she said.

The safety administration will take about six months to complete its investigation into Riley's death, and investigators plan to test the tire and rim to find out if they were faulty, Bacchini said.

Riley, a Nevada City resident, had worked for Les Schwab for four years, she said.

2. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to hear that. I don't deal well with death at all, fortunately i've only lost 1 close person.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That is terrible.

You're right, it kinda changes the perspective of my own problems.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i do tires. and you need to respect them. sorry for the loss. i dont mind new big tires. but recaps are ether good or bad. the last place i worked did air pressure tests on every tire before and after capping was done. and now the place i am at doesnt do that. i dont want to mount there caps at all for the simple fact of what if its a bad case and you will find out the hard way.

we had a tire at the old shop where thay tested them get passed before recap. then when all done retested it and about 7/8 full of air she let go. rubber chunks all ofver the shop but no one got hurt cause it was caged and in safty area no other people around this area.

all in all be safe and watch the tire fill and if it dont look correct stop and recheck stuff.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear bout your friends passing, hope his family will be OK, you all will meet again,God bless!

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah i'm worried about his family his wife is younger than him, doesn't work, was a stay at home mom, rasing their son. i don't know for sure, but i heard that she won't be able to get any insurance money or help until after the 6 month investigation..i just pray that isn't true.