Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what antenna?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by bryguy00b, Apr 23, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i just got...or more like found..in my garage..a cobra cb radio..from 1994...looks like new. dunno if it works though..but i was just wondering whats a good antenna to hook it up to? like a stainless steal one or something..or could i just get a coax cable or whatever..cuase i have a few antennas in the garage..but they look like they are suppost to screw into something..

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of the 102" Stainless Steel whip antenna. In my personal opinion, the 102" out preforms any other 11 meter antenna on the market. But they are big, so some people don't like them becouse of thier size. My second choice would be a K40.

3. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

They should screw into the top of your antenna mount and the coax will screw onto the bottom. If it's a basic radio and standard power any antenna will work. For high power I prefer Wilson's.

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Both replys are good. If you don't mind the length, either a steel whip {durable but flexy and floppy} or a Francis 102 whip {not as durable but not as floppy either and I've never had one go bad} will give the best results and least amount of problems. Be carefull where you mount the whip, sometimes if you mount it to the rear bumper-it will pick up some SWR from being so close to the tailgate. Sometimes not. It would be kinda impractical to mount it on the roof-too high and the antenna will end up bending and cracking the roof where it mount due to hitting everything. Bout the best place to mount a full legnth whip is to the side of the bed with a ball mount.

If the length bothers you-a Wilson. Bout any Wilson will work. I would get a Wilson 1000 just in case you ever want to throw a big amp on it. For the Wilson, the roof is the best bet. Or you can get a Trucker version and mount it to the mirror. If you wheel like me-that would be a bad idea.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i want it either on the roof or on the driver mirror. i want to find just a mount that i can screw one of the antennas into..and a coax cable that i can put from the radio to the base. is there just a simple roof mounted one i could find somewere..my dad had one i liked..it was a magnet one..just plop it right on the roof..also..how do i hook this radio up? its got a power connection in the back i think its like a four prong plug type connection or something.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The power pin should be a 3 pin if memory serves me correct. Do a search for CB shops on the net. You should be able to find everything you'll need.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes it is...but whats suppost to connect to it??

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There is only 2 wires off the 3 pin plug. Red=pos, Black=neg.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Just a couple of thoughts. If you are going to mount it to A (just one) mirror then why not the passenger side? Think about it this way, you will always open and close your drivers side door, but not always the passenger side. This would cause the antenna to flop around more and put more stress (I know its negligable (sp?)) on the mirror mounts. Also, I would not recomend a magnet mount, unless its a damn big magnet and a little antenna. My reason is this. I was out rompin around a creek bed and the edge of a farm field one day and my magnet mounted roof antenna fell off, but I didnt know it till we stopped. When we stopped, the magnet was stuck to the side of my burb with no antenna. While we wer out riding 4-wheelers yesterday, we found the antenna in the creek bed, with no trees anywhere near the site. Just a jolt knocked it off. That is why I dont recomend a magnet mount.

10. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i have a k40 antenna mounted on my roof, it has a magnetic base

11. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Several guys I know run what is called a lip mount. You put it on the inside of your fender under the hood and it protrudes between the hood and fender gap. They can take some fineese to get them right. For any setup, other than magnets, just carry some channel locks or a crescent wrench to unscrew your antenna for tight spots.

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Any wilson....

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i got the power cables for my cb radio.has the 3 pin connecter and the red and black wire. the red wire has a bent copper thing on the end of it and im guessing i could just plug that into a open socket on the fuse block? i did that and touched the ground wire to bare metal and it wouldnt come on whenther the ignition was on or of. am i doing something wrong? or does the cb not work?

14. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Since you don't know what kind of condition the radio was in I would say get a muiltimeter or even a test light to make sure you are actually getting voltage to the plug.

If the plug has 12 volts but nothing comes on when it's plugged into the radio then chances are that the radio needs some help. There should be a cb shop close to you that can check out the radio for you too.

I might even know of a tech local to you.... I'd have to dig through some stuff to find the info. Let me know if you need me to.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i got this standrrd three prong power calbe with the red and black wires from radio shack for it. was i suppostto put a fuse in it or does it already have one on it? theres a fuse thingy on it and it says replace wiht 5 amp fuse but im not sure if thats the fuse or if its suppost to go inside it??

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Did you open it up to check the fuce ??? If something is wrong with the radio, it could blow the fuce right away.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i guess theres not one in there..ive never seen one of these things befor so i wasnt sure. its one of those inline fuses right...ill havta stick one in and see what happenes..