Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are 14ff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swoo55, Oct 26, 2003.

1. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

I'm learing the ropes and I'd like to know what are "14ff". I'm working on my Drive triain and someone recomended them.
    What are they?

Thanks
    Swoo

2. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just a quick low down, they are 3/4 ton and 1 ton rear ends for your vehicle. If you do a search for 14ff on here you will find a vast amount of knowledge on them. Im sure someone else will put up something more in depth than this but if you have more questions please ask. Good luck with you new journeys in K5's

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

go over to pirate4x4.com... in their tech section they have a "ff14b bible"... it'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the axle...

j

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

GM's corporate rear axle that is of a full floating design .GM sold out to American Axle a while back so they are now referd to as AA 14 bolts.
    There are two common 14 bolt axles that are discussed on this board , one is a semi-floater w/ a 9.5" ring gear diameter ( commonly found on 1981 and up light duty 3/4 ton trucks ) and the other is a full-floater with a 10.5" ring
    gear diameter ( found on 1973 and up 3/4 & 1 Ton trucks ).

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG] Here is a pic of a "14BFF"

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] Here is a pic of a "14BFF"

[/ QUOTE ]

nice shock /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It is a 2wd 14 and because of the shims installed for pinion angle, the mount was too far forward to line up with the shock. This pic was just taken after the swap before the mount was moved...smart ass. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

just a bit of trivia, everyone calls em a "GM/corprate" axle which is incorect. They are actually made by American Axle Manufacturing(AAM) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    That said they the strongest reasonable axle you can get. Reasonable meaning they are fairly cheap and have good parts availibility.
    They are the axle put under 3/4ton and 1ton trucks (single rear wheels). The FF is for Full floater whith means the axle is not connected to the hweel mounting surface as in a conventional axle. This resultes in a vary distictive hub on the rear axle. The biggest benifit of this is that if you break an axle shaft, your wheel and tire wont fall of.

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Actually, you are incorrect. AAM is newer. 14FF are Corporate axles, made by General Motors.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    just a bit of trivia, everyone calls em a "GM/corprate" axle which is incorect. They are actually made by American Axle Manufacturing(AAM) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

someone reads their petersens/fourwheeler I see. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    That said they the strongest reasonable axle you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

D70HD? dont they have like 0.5" thick axle tubes? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the sf and 10.5"ff are GM axles. The new AAM 14bff are 11.5" ring gear. I belive doge is starting to use them in the rear and front.

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I believe that they are called "corporate axles" up until AAM purchased enough shares ( or however it was bought ) from GM to be on thier own .They are still made by the same company it just has a different name/owner and now they can sell to other manufacture's instead of being a division of GM .