Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are my options for bigger capacity fuel tanks for my 72?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Feb 26, 2003.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

???

2. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Northwest Metal Products makes a 37 gal tank that fits in the stock location. Have it in my junk and love the extra range. http://www.nwmp.com/

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

someone put a tank in from a second gen on here but I don't remember who it was, but that requires some extra fab work.

4. daveo

daveo Registered Member

The Northwest Metal Products 37 gallon tank is the way to go. Comes with new sending unit and all required hardware. Mine fit perfect on my '71. The extra range is great. I put mine in when I did my ORD reverse shackle flip lift as I needed to drop the original tank anyway. Lots of folks take this route. You won't be disappointed in the NWMP tank.

5. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

the second gen tank, if used, need to be reversed when you install it. I know it is more work than its worth (to me) I remember a while ago that was a topic here, and someone had done it, can't remember who though, sorry.

6. 71WhiteBeast

71WhiteBeast Registered Member

Hey, what are the possibilties of this fitting a 71 Burb? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too put in the NWMP 37 gallon. Wasn't cheep but I absolutly LOVE the range I have now!! I can drive for over 4hrs straight without stoping for gas now!! I moved the original mounting up 2-1/2" for added ground clearance(my bodylift allowed this) I have pics in member gallery. I also built a custom skid plate for it. It is a BIG tank but now I can go twice as far with out stoping!! Loveit!!

8. IGOR

Are the nwmp tanks pretty beefy?

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep.
    I have a NWMP 37 gal. tank also. I love it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm going to make a skidplate for it just for added protection.
    The only thing i will advise is if you order one of those, pay the extra $10 to have it packaged. Mine came UPS just the tank by itself and it was all scratched up and dented in 2 places by the time it got to me. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Here's some pics:
    http://groups.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=4

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i got a 31gal tank from a 2nd gen...so I'll be trying to put that on one day... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i did it, i did it. it was me that put a 31 gal tank in my blaz from an 84. it took me longer to take out the original xmember, dam rivits, than to mount the new one on.
    i have pics if you want to see PM me.

ARQ.

12. IGOR

I went to their website, and what do you know...they are less than 30 miles away from me - so I might just have to pay a visit to them!

13. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Also check with Aero Tanks. They make a 40 gallon tank that fits in the stock location. I have one in my Blazer (at least I think it's an Aero - it's the only 40 gallon tank I know of). There are some pix of my Blazer at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html. The tank isn't all that visible in them ,but you can see it in the side profile and in the picture of the rear end.

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if you have pic's that would help out big time...I'll PM you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif