Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what are my options?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jan 7, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i want to make sure that my back-up cd's of all my photos are safe. i'm thinking of getting a safe deposit box, but i'm not too excited about spending 50 bux a year for a tiny ass box which will probably be too small by the end of the year. rather not have a fire safe in my house either, as i don't trust 'em.

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

maybe do an online thing? or get instead of using cd's use an external harddrive and keep that in a safety deposit box? :confused:

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

make a second set of backups and store them with a family member

4. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

cd's and dvd's have a shelflife guys.

6-8 years and a cd/dvd will be unplayable.

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I've got several CDs from over 15 years ago that still play fine.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Don't trust a fire safe? Why's that? :dunno: I've a gun safe (fire safe) I keep my backup tapes (I use 4mm tapes) in, and every time my dad comes over I give him the latest set to keep at his house. That way I'm covered for a fire, or a tornado.

Being in the IT industry, a disaster recovery plan in paramount. I'd say a friends/family house is just fine. That is of course, unless you have a bunch of, shall we say, sensative, information you don't wish them to know about and don't trust them.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I keep a full backup set at my office. I also overlap them, so that one DVD will have, say, Jan-March pictures and the next will have Feb-April. It takes a few more, but they are cheap and that way if one gets damaged, I have built in redundancy.

I also have a small (80 gig) hard drive that I back them all up to periodically. It lives in my gun safe.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, hard drive left with a family member.

I've actually been thinking about putting a server at my mom's house and running backups to it overnight.

I also have a fireproof safe and a gun safe with data and other things.

If you have a secure office, that's a good idea, too.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hard drive might be a bit inconvenant as you would have to go get it from the bank, take it home and then bring it back after you up dated it, might be fine at first but eventualy it would be spending a few days at home every time.

storing it at home in a small fire safe in side your gun safe would kick ass, Or a larger firesafe, bloted to the floor in your closit or something.

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'm reluctant to use a firesafe because they have time-limits in a fire. didn't know about the shelf life of a cd. how much does an extra hard drive set me back?

speaking of computer components, my computer is this hp pavilion ze4900 laptop, and i'm wanting more hardrive space anyway, as with all the photos we take, 40g is going pretty quick (there are files on my computer that have over 2gigs of photos in them, which doesn't amount to many more files of photos). i also bought low on ram. is there a cheap way to upgrade this, or should i consider a new computer in the nearer future? been thinking i'd like an apple anyway - better for art and photo.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what you do is bolt the firesafte to the floor and cut the floor joists from under it so only the plywood is suporting it, then put a tub of water in the bacement under it, so it the fire is a long one, the floor will give way and the safe will fall in the water cooling it :D

your welcome :D

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Just install a swimming pool in your basement!

One of the ratings of a fire safe is how long it can maintain tempurature inside while the temperature outside drastically raises. Most house fires wouldn't last long enough to raise the temperature in the safe to the point where it would wreck your DVD or tape. Of course, it depends on the quality of your safe as well. :deal:

13. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've always thought about this too - and considered one set for home - and a second set stored in a safe container (fire safe or even tuperware) in the garden shed. Probably won't lose both in a fire.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't know what your neighborhood is like, but around me, I wouldn't do this with any sensitive data. Too many things get stolen from peoples' sheds around here. If you're area is mroe secure, then not a bad idea. Maybe even an underground vault of some sort if it's dry.

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I think the hard drive is probably the best option. I've never heard of the shelf life on cd's? I too have many cd's more than 15 years old that play just fine.

Most decent firesafes have a rating (mine is 45 min @ 1200 deg) which is in excess of the average burn time and response time in most urban/suburban area.