Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what are some good daily driver/mudding tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5mudder, Apr 21, 2003.

1. 89K5mudder

89K5mudder Registered Member

What is a good tire for a daily driver/weekend mudder. I was looking into the BFG Mud terrains but are their any other good tires out there for about the same price. Remember it will be a street driven truck so they have to wear good and not be too noisy.

2. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

For what you want, I don't think that you are gonna beat the BFG muds.

Trey

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

BFG MT's are your best bet.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I did alot of research on this subject, and decided to get the Ground Hawg radials. They're not cheap, but they'll last along time, and work very well for my app. plus I wanted something more aggressive then BFG's or MT's. The best thing I can tell you is to look into what most people in your area are running. Talk to local people about thier tires.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    . The best thing I can tell you is to look into what most people in your area are running. Talk to local people about thier tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that logic, I'd be running Pro Craps or Remingtons and buying tires more often /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, after reading Z3PR's response - figured I'd speak up.

I'm running BFG's All-terrain KO and couldn't be happier. I don't do any deep mud holes, but they've gotten me through the 4-5" goo that I've needed to go through. They're awesome on snowpacked roads and not too bad on virgin snow. Great wet-road traction, I can bust them lose only occasionally on wet pavement (uphill, turning, from a stop, new/smooth pavement) - maybe that has something to do with my gears and weak engine /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. They are virtually nonexistent noise-wise on the road. AWESOME wear - my big heavy suburban has had these tires on for 15,000+ miles and there is plenty (maybe 75-80% /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) of tread left.
    I thought about getting MT's, but the need for them just isn't there yet for me since my truck does mainly road driving. GET THE AT's.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think MT/Rs I have talked to lots of people that say they prefer them over the BFG Mud terrains and they are cheap on www.tirerack.com cheaper than BFGs for me.

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BFG MT's are your best bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more- I run 33's and my truck doesnt ever go off-road.....they are very quiet, wear evenly, and handle well in snow/rain/mudd that my truck does see..even if its not a big mudd pit- dirt roads in the spring here are as nasty as any mudd pit your gonna find... Luv my tires, the only reason I wanna get rid of em is to get Baja Claw's cause I like the looks of them better.

Brandy

9. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

I've got the BFG mud Terrains 35" on my blazer and I'm very happy with them! They are pretty quiet going down the highway and I've been in mud holes up to the bottom of my doors and never had a problem with traction. That's just my 2 cents. Mine is my daily driver also and I've had my tires on for 3 years now and they are about half way worn.

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Get yourself a set of TSL SSR's. THey are the best all around tire in my opinion. Not as loud as the raidal TSL, has siping, unlike the others (BFG&MTR) and they wear really well. Plus, you can't beat the self-cleaning of a TSL /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I run Pro comp muds they were quieter than my bfg all terrains and kick ass off road and Ive had them for about a year and cant even notice any wear. best tire out there for a mt tire that mainly gets run on the street. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I love my BFG Mud Terrains, wear well and aint too loud.

13. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

IMHO:
    swampers suck...they are too soft for any type of daily driving (unless you like replacing tires every year or like not having any tread when you actually make it to a trail run)

Not that may opinion means much but... I'm running mtr's and they have been nothing but good to me. I haven't had any flats whatsoever. I've run them in single psi range and still fireroaded the wee out of em'. They have been wearing very well and even with my rear detroit locker they chunk very little. With my swampers (tsl radial 36s) if I cornered on the road and barked the tires there would be a guaranteed chunkasaurus. Also if I spun the swampers on rock there would be a nice pile of ground tire under the blazer. Not to badmouth swampers... I had them flop and fold over themselves and basically claw themselves up some pretty gnarly shite... but for a daily driver they are not worth the cash. MTRs are a happy medium and I'm very happy with them. But this is my opinion and so take it with a grain of salt.
    juanito loco

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Ranked in ascending price...
    General Grabber APs and MTs
    Uniroyal Laredo MTs (they flat spot but are durable and wear well)
    Cooper STT
    Mud Kings
    BFG MTs (way overpriced in my opinion)
    Goodyear MT/Rs
    TSL SSRs or SSXs.
    and the list goes on

Your best bet is to go around and look at what the local non-poser trucks have on them. Then look to see what tire is for sale used most often with a lot of tread left. You rarely see used SSRs or SSXs for sale but you see Thornbirds, Kelly, and Michelin mud tires for sale all the time. It's because they suck more than anything that has sucked ever before.

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had BFG M/T's on my truck....
    I couldn't hear the radio....they were so loud!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I have SSR's on both trucks right NOW.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    They are better in the mud...
    much quieter on the street....
    and the truck handles better.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

first of all... there is nothing wrong with ProComp MTs... I have run em for years on and offroad and they have always performed exceptionally well. IMO, they are ever bit as good as a BFG and they cost less to boot.

That said, the best non swamper mud tire there is is the MTR.

j

17. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I've been running Procomp Xterains for about 18 months now. Quite enuough for me and they perform really well off road. Mine have just started to show some signs of wear.

I would buy them again.

Kent

18. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You need a new radio then. I like the quiet howl of my BFGs, but they're not overpowering. At cruise speeds I can hear the tires, but only if I listen for them. They suck on ice though. If I were driving on a lot and snow and ice the only MT I would look at would be something siped and possibly ready to receive studs. (SSR's are siped, no?) I don't do a lot of that driving anymore so the BFGs work for me.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BFG KM's that replace BFG Mt's that I had great luck with. They will go an easy 30k on the street if not more. Never had a complaint about the noise. They ran pretty quite for what they are. Last caravan I was in I couldn't hear my tires over the guy in front of me's Swamper.
    I run BFG At's on the other truck and they have been great as well.
    My only problem I have ever had is ripping out side walls on Roots but that was as much my fault as anything. A 6 ply swamper may not have had the same problem but you can get Road hazard on a BFG.
    Costco has the best prices if you got one near you. I paid $150 each + tax WITH road hazard and mounting and ballancing for 35's.