Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what are some good heads for a fuel injected 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5texan, Nov 12, 2002.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

I am having a hard time finding some heads for a fi 454. all i want is some semi-high performance cast iron ones.
    thanks for any help,
    jared

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

World has some nice iron oval ports complete for 1100 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Many will say go with the Vortecs.

I say the Merlins from World Products can't be beat. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I would just go with some stock oval ports if $$$ is an issue. you can always port and polish them...then just get a tbi intake and you are good to go...I am using the "156" casting which are Gen V/ Gen VI peanut ports...they are tiny pots but I am building the motor fo torque rather than peak HP...I agree on the World Products recco...The make great stuff...The Edelbrock performers are decent too if you don't mind an AL head...

Chris

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't looked too far into yet but I like the Edelbrock high compression heads. Anybody have a guess as to what the compression ratio would be using stock pistons? I am probably going to go with any edelbrock head just for simplicities sake. I dont know if my dad has any heads to go along with the block, pistons and crank he is giving me so I may HAVE to buy them. With the high compression heads will my ratio be low enough to run anything but jet fuel? Thx

6. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

so should i just be looking for heads made specificaly for fuel injection or does that really matter. and how much is it to port a set of factory heads and is it worth it.
    thanks

7. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

What year FI motor? Or is it just a mark 4 with a TBI your going to throw at it?

Stock oval port heads(I can give you some casting #'s of some good heads if you like) The merlin oval ports are also good choice. I would definatly stay with oval port heads. I would probably stay away from Al heads but thats just me. See my post here if you want to know why I say that http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=567138&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

The pistons you have now and what cam you are running and what octane gas you want to run on will determine what cc chamber you should go with to keep your compression ratio were the motor wants it.

8. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

....And porting varies as to area and what you are doing. Also if you install bigger valves that will add to the cost(I doubt needed at your level but I dont know particulars of your buildup) You can get away with a basic clean up job that will be fine for a mild build for fairly cheap. Merlin heads are very good for the money after you look at porting some stockers but thier massive chamber can screw you on compression depending how your motor is set up.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Wow...I just got my Summit catalog and...damn I didnt know heads were so expensive...lol. Anyway I'm guessing I have stock pistons and no cam in mind. I figured I'd call competition cams and see what they recomend I get once I get to that point. I would like to go with regular or super unleaded because the 454 isnt know for its awsome mileage... I would be bolting all this onto a mark IV block that I am goin to have drilled to be a splayed 4 bolt. Thx

10. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

it is stock heads off a 89 454. and i have always heard that the stock heads on these are as high performance as a one barrel carb. I dont want anything special just something that will give me excellent torque and decent horsepower.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

World Products !!!!!!!!!! I've used World Products head on meny motors, always have liked them, and I HIGHLY RECOMEND !!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Well a couple of good stock heads that are easy to find in the oval port iron config are the 290's(these are closed chamber heads so they will boost your compression) or the 791's which are open chamber heads. These will keep your compression close to the same I believe. The merlin heads are a great head but if you can score some factory castings for cheap and get them worked then you might save some cash. And going with the 290's have quite a bit smaller chambers than the merlins so that might be a rout if you want more compression. The compression needs to be picked with thinking about what cam you are going to run(I assume you havent bought pistons yet?)so you can keep the dynamic compression in check and make sure everything is matched.

Whats your casting#? Even the peanut port heads(as they are called) can be a good choice in certian applications. It all depends what you want to do and the rest of your combo and how much $$ you wana spend.

Having your motor built with 4 bolt caps especially splayed will be overkill in your application IMO. Remeber that if you switch caps you will also need to get it line honed. If you just put main studs in and keep the 2 bolt caps you still should have it line honed. Didnt know if you knew that or not and a machine shop should tell you but....

13. chevy1982

chevy1982 Registered Member

These are what you want Heads