Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Are "Split Rims"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

What Are \"Split Rims\"

What are split rims? I have a truck that has a set of them and the other day I went to the tire shop to gett some new rubber, and I was told that thay would not work on them because the rims are the split type.

LooksBack

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Re: What Are \"Split Rims\"

Split rims have a ring that comes off to let the tire on and off like a bead lock, Only a split rim will come off most likely when you don't want it to like when your filling it with air.
    Most tire shops won't mess with them Cause there have been some Deaths with them and some serious injury's

Eric

3. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Get rid of the split rims. They are real dangerous to you and the tire guy that is going to work on them. If the tire guy has no clue what he is doing and when he is airing up the tire and the lock ring is not set right it will take off his head.
    Basically a split rim is a 3 part rim. there is the inner part witch is the whole rim then there is the 2 part witch is the outer bead of the rim and it slides on the tire. the 3 part is a lock ring that sits under the lip on the first peice of the rim and on top of the second peice of the rim and it holds the tire on. Its been a while sence I have had one apart.
    Hope you get what I was typing. It will probally confuse you. Mybe another member can explain it better then I can.
    Colin

4. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

So the main thing I am hearing, is gett rid of the rims. I have been wanting to gett some new ones any way. I have been looking for some 17.5" 8-Lug rims so that I can go with a larger tire size "I do not want wider tires, but taller"

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have been looking for some 17.5" 8-Lug rims

[/ QUOTE ] do you by chance mean 16.5"s /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem with a step van. It had 17" split rims. I found some 19.5" rims and tires off a bread truck that fit perfectly. They were taller but not much wider.

7. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

no I meant 17.5" rims, I want to put large tires on my truck, but I have a '74 C20, and I have not seen a lift kit for them yet. So the next thing I could think of was going with a larger rim to put larger tires on, but not to larger were I could not gett them to fit. I have seen people with 17.5" rims on there trucks, but have not been able to find a set.

LooksBack