Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are symptoms of a bent axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Sep 17, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey yall, been awhile since I've hit this forum!! Cripes this place grows when you're not lookin!!

I'm running stock 10 bolts, and recently started getting a lot of vibration at high speed (65-70 shakes are too bad to leave the coffee in the cupholder). I've also started getting a light, slow hopping feeling at low speeds, as if the tires had flat spots, except this is constant, even when tires are warm.

Yesterday at about 50 mph, I watched the nose along the curb of the highway, and I could swear it looked like it was consistently swaying a hair side to side (could've just been mental from looking for something).

I haven't really checked anything yet to see what might be obvious, aside from lugnuts (all tight), driveshaft (appears strait), rim evenness, etc.

It's about 4 inch lift, dropped TC, 33's, 10-bolts, ummmm, can't think of anything else that may be needed..
    I've only seen it in 2hi, haven't used 4 high since it appeared.

This symptom just seems to have appeared out of nowhere a few weeks ago, with no changes to anything on the truck.

I'm suspecting bent rear semi-floating axle. What're all your thoughts??

Help, bad vibes!!!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well I would suggest jacking it up and putting it on stands and having someone run the truck to see if the wheels wobble. If they wobble then, remove the rear tires, and putting the lug nuts back on to hold the drum. and having someone start the truck and drop it in drive. Watch the wheel MOUNTING surface to see if it wobbles. Not the outer drum. Please make sure you have stands safely secured when doing this!

That will tell you if the wheel is bent or the shaft. If the housing is bent it may not show up till you start to eat bearings.

When running w/ the tire on look at how the road surface looks, does it hop or seem pretty true?

On the front you cant run the rig. Youll have to spin the tire and see how it looks. The odds of you bending a spindle in front are slim, but it can happen. There is no way to check that tho that I can think of. It would cause a caster or camber problem that could be found thru an alignment. It would not cause a wobble anyway.

Its possible someone may have hit a tire in the parking lot and bent a wheel, and you didnt see any rub marks.

Hope this helps.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It could be a separated belt in your tire too, I've had this happen with radials before...although they were on a car. The tire itself made the front of the car wobble side to side over and inch at very slow speeds

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Did you loose some wheel weights ?Or maybe a bent wheel.I ran a bent 12 bolt for along time.You could stand behind the truck and see it was bent.It was sort of a V shape.I put a truss on it to hold it together.I never had any problems with it other than it leaking where the tubes went in to the housing.I guess you could jack it up ,spin the tire to see if the shaft its self is bent.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Rene, what would I visibly look for to determine a belt in the tire?

I'll have to jack it up tonight and check everything mentioned...

THanks for the response all!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jack up each corner and give the tire a spin...if a belt is broken in the tire it will be obvious. On the car I had it happen too the tread had actually shifted on one part of the tire...it was very weird looking.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>