Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are the benefits of a DIY bedliner???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Feb 28, 2001.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ok, I've been thinking about what I want to do with my interior. Right now it's all stripped out except for the two front seats. I originally just wanted to put Durabak on and call it done, but I realized that I still the need the carpet and insulation because it's too damn loud in there(can't carry on conversation or hear the radio with windows up) I want it to be more streetable so I can take it on trips and such. My question is what are the benefits of putting in a bedliner under the carpet and does it have any insulatin properties(keep the heat down)?? My idea is it just seals it up so if moisture gets trapped under the carpet, it wont rust out the floor. I was going with Durabak because it comes in colors and it seems to be a better product but since I'm covering it with carpet and just need a sealant I'm thinking of just going with Duplicolor(and it's cheaper [​IMG]). I am going to spray Duplicolor on the underside also regardless of what I do with the interior. Thanks

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

2. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Here's what I did. It was alot of labor, but I love the result. I totally stripped the interior and ground off all rust on floor. I put on one easy coat of spray paint, and then glued in a Supermat from Summit Racing (keeps out sound, heat, vibration and maybe fire!). I cut the Supermat to cover ALL areas of the floor. Then I put black silicone between the cracks of Supermat pieces to make sure I had a flat surface. Then I put on fiberglass cloth/fiberglass mat and polyester resin (from WalMart) to make a smooth, durable thick surface (3-4 layers of fiberglass cloth/mat). Now I am saving up to Line-X it, and I will have hose out capability! What is Durabak?

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

if you are going to use carpet you might beabel to use rubber under coat to stop rust and I am sure it does not cost much

and bigerik Line-x is some great stuff I have had mine for all most a year and it is holding up great

[​IMG]If you want to run cool
    you got to run on Heavy Heavy Fuel

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>