Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What are the bolt holes in the bed ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by weldor, Jun 28, 2002.

1. weldor

weldor Registered Member

There are four bolt holes with 7/16" fine threads in the bed behind the back seat of my '69 Blazer. Anyone know what they were used for? These seem to be factory installed. They have the stamped formed plate under the bed. I was planning to weld them closed, but got curious. Did the factory offer some sort of storage box that was bolted to the floor? These are not bolt holes drilled by a previous owner. I've got evidence of his intelligence, such as, cutting away part of a support brace so that a bolt for the rollbar would fit. Any knowledge of what these four holes are?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Prolly for the interior tire carrier...

Rene

3. weldor

weldor Registered Member

An interior tire carrier sounds like a good guess. Has anyone got pictures of this animal? I've never seen one of these. Fact is I've never seen the back seat. When I got this truck it had nothing but rust. I'm slowly getting rid of that. I've welded up about a hundred holes that were used to install carpet. That's when I found the four bolt holes. Again, anyone got pictures of the interior tire carrier?

4. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

I've seen them on the brochures, just do some snooping around and you'll find a brochure pic somewhere on this site, ill try and find it and post a link.

5. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

The outer two on mine or for the rear seat. I don`t know about the inner two. My bolt wholes are 1/2`` regular thread.

6. weldor

weldor Registered Member

I've got the regular back seat plates that are welded inside of the bed. The other holes have no plates showing from inside of the truck. The support plates are welded under the bed. All holes are on the drivers side. They are laid out in a square with one hole in each corner of the square. Measuring from hole to hole is something like 18"x 14".

7. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

they are for the tire carrier. at least they are in mine i hvae the tire carrier that goes in it but have never put it in and i don't a 38 will fit on it

8. weldor

weldor Registered Member

Any chance of pictures? I'd really like to see this thing.

9. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

i don't have pictures but i could try to get some

10. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Weldor, check out pics of my original interior tire mount. My pic page is:ressurections community page Other than the wheel, the carrier is original. Good luck!

11. weldor

weldor Registered Member

I really appreciate the pictures of the tire carrier! The only difference that I see is that your tire carrier is in front of the back seat. Is this by choice, or is this by design? Not having a back seat nor a tire carrier I don't know what the original idea was. Thanks again, and thanks to everyone that responded.

12. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Ya know, that's a good point! I didn't catch that "behind the rear seat" line in your original post. If my dusty memory serves me right, there may have been an option for location. But, still I think that's the reason for the holes in either case.
    Happy 4th!

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the tire behind the back seat was an option that came when you bought the one with no back seat. maybe someone added the back seat later.

nathan

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have the same holes and I used them to bolt down a large ammo can for tools and parts works great, as for tire carrier idea I'm not too sure of that since I had a carrier that bolted to the passenger side wheel well and to where the hard top mounted, my holes are 1/2" though..... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

15. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

i have one i'm trying to sell acually. i have the pics on my dig camera but the computer isn't complying with the camera so i'll post pics on my site when the kiss and make up! i have the original wheel and polyglass tire too!